Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front axle seal leak / pics included

Old 11-16-2009, 09:57 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle seal leak / pics included

I was installing Spidertrax spacers today and when I was working on the passenger side wheel I could smell gear oil and then noticed this. It's not a significant leak that I have to rush to the dealer but I was planning on installing my TF lift this week also. Just hoping the dealer doesn't give me some BS reason they won't cover it under warranty. Any chance of that happening?

Last edited by MFX; 02-27-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Another JK axle seal failure. Welcome to the club.

A lift doesn't change anything with the axle innards, so they shouldn't deny warranty for that, but the wheel spacers are another story. While in reality they should not cause a leak, they could argue that it is an alteration that increases stress on the axle shafts.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sure they might, your've got aftermarket parts on there...

I agree, it doesn't look that bad to me either...and there are plenty of folks with the same damn leak...if you are that concerned about it that you want warranty to fix it, then my adive, hold off on the lift install and get those spidertrax off, take it in and get it sorted out...or, deal with it on your own if you feel capable....there is a possibility that even after the dealer has replaced the seals it may leak again, and you could be chasing this problem for a little while...how long you willing to hold off on your lift install ?
Just some stuff to consider.

Me personally, how I would handle it. I would carry on installing everything I wanted, and address the seal leak when I had the time on my own. Disassemble the axle and replace the seals, and if it came back, re-address the problem by having the axle shafts inspected for straightness or defect, and if that's not the issue...worst case scenario, the housing is buggered somehow....then I would try for a warranty, but if I wasn't able to get one, I would continue to keep an eye on lube levels, and eventually get rid of the thing completely for some aftermarket kick ass axle.

just my .02
Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the responses guys. like I said, no way I'm running to the dealer for such a small leak. I'm waiting for the service guy to call me any day now so I can pick up my replacement freedom panel so I'll ask him what he thinks when I stop by. If he suggests that I remove the spacers, then that's what I'll do.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time to learn how to do front axle seals
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I'm sure I could but why get my hands dirty if I don't have to
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MFX
I'm sure I could but why get my hands dirty if I don't have to
options were given, you may, you may not get grief from the dealer, the solution in the end is up to you
Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Mine looked like the OP's pictures. I cleaned it off with some spray brake cleaner. The residue never came back.
Give it a try before you dive into replacing the seal.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine leaked and got worse. I would have the dealer fix it.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Tomorrow I'm probably going to install my lift so I was going to clean it down with brake cleaner and see if the problem persists. If yes, off to the dealer she goes.

Quick Reply: Front axle seal leak / pics included