Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front axle oil seal replacement on Rubi - qu

Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle oil seal replacement on Rubi - qu

I have the common oil seal leak on the front axle shaft of my 2007 2-dr Rubi. I was a bit nervous about tackling the replacement myself (I considered it!) so I dropped it off at the local mechanic (who I have know for a long time and trust).

He just called and said that he had the cover off and it was clear to him that some special equipment/care would be required to change the seal. I called a couple of other places and same sort of story.

Here are the questions:

How difficult is it really and do I really need special tools (I can borrow a spreader)?

I need to make a road trip (2x400 miles) and I won't be able to get the seal fixed before then. The leak is getting worse but I figure that if I check the level every couple of hundred miles and top up if/as necessary then that should be O.K. Does this seem reasonable - what is the chance of catastrophic seizure on the freeway (if any).

Thanks for your advice.

Steve
Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
are you talking about the seal on the outer end by the hub?
Yes - I mean the axle shaftr seal as oppsed to the pinion seal (is there another one that I am unaware of?)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

are you talking about the seal on the outer end by the hub?
if it's the front axle, the seal is at the differential end of the axle tube, not at the wheel end. in other words, there is a seal on either side of the pumpkin rather than at either end of the axle
Old 02-11-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's extremely helpful - thanks very much.

I loved your custom snorkel mod also...

Steve

Quick Reply: Front axle oil seal replacement on Rubi - qu