Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Front Air Dam pics?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Air Dam pics?

I know several people have removed the front air dam...mostly for looks I guess. Anybody got pics of the front without the air dam? I thought about taking mine off, but wanna see how it'll look until I get the Skid Row plate for X-mas. It doesn't actually offer any protection, does it?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air dam offers no real protection. I think quite a few people lose them during their first off-road excursion.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

That's about what I figured...I've already smacked mine a few times, just haven't paid attention to what's behind it so I don't know if I need to leave it there or not.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't trash the environment. Take it off in the driveway in about 5minutes and dispose of it properly. It is just flimsy plastic and your Jeep looks great without it.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

I agree. It looks much better without it. However, I put mine back on this weekend. It seems that my fuel economy has gone down slightly (1 mpg or so)since removing it and my wind noise has increased. I'm not sure if the air dam was THE or at least a contributing factor, but I hope to find out.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

i didnt want mine replaced after the accident, but bodyshop said it was to primarily reduce drag by deflecting the air under the jeep, and as stated above the hood lift. i lost mine twice when cacking out of a river crossing.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by N2rock
well, it is called an "air dam"- there is no claim of protection there. But, it will help with going thru water by pushing a wake out front like this...
Just don't go backwards. WestGaParrotHead lost his that way. The water pressure pulled it right off (of course he wasn't going slow either). REDROCKJK had a front fender pull off by going through water too fast.

I bought a Shrockworks mid-width bumper that has a skid plate that cover the same general area and it does offer protection for the electronic sway bar disconnect system. I did keep my air dam on until then, but that wasn't very long.

I would think the air dam would actually push more water underneath than in front which is generally better.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default check out the mopar metal skid

I put on the mopar metal skid. Mopar number 82210401. It forces the air the same as the plastic one, but also protects the electric sway disconnect, sterring and bottom rad. I went mopar because I didn't want an issue with warranty work and over heatiing. Other skids could give the stealership grounds not to warranty a motor do to over heating. Do a search with the number it can be found for about $180. 1/4 thick lines right up and can be touched up with simple rattle can paint.

Just my thoughts
Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
I know several people have removed the front air dam...mostly for looks I guess. Anybody got pics of the front without the air dam? I thought about taking mine off, but wanna see how it'll look until I get the Skid Row plate for X-mas. It doesn't actually offer any protection, does it?
I have the Skid Row plate & it looks great! but there's not much more protection than the factory 'brace' that's already under the bumper (take the plastic piece off and take a look). No matter to me, the SR plate looks cool!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

The air dam actually creates a negative pressure under the hood in the engine compartment which helps draw air across the radiator and stops or reduces air pressure at higher speeds.

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam pics?