Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

freedom top water

Old 10-11-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freedom top water

i got water inside my right panel and it dripped through the bolt hole.does any one know how the water got in there? i checked the panel and could not find a crack or a way for the water to get in. help?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing. There is a small hole at the rear the of the panel. I assume it got in through there. I just took the panel off and drained it.

I had been running without the soundbar bolts in, so I'm hoping that by putting them back in the seal will be tight enough to keep the water out. We've had a few rains since then, and so far so good.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

the small hole was opposite the implanted nut? i sealed it. will know more after the next rain.thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tops are multi-part assembled with a bonding agent. If one of the corners has a pinhole in the bonding agent the top will admit water if the gasket seam fills with water during a rain and the vehicle is sitting at the right angle. If you have water in your top slosh it around each corner and look closely- it will leak back out the way it came in. Dry the leak area real well and apply a thin spot of sealer worked in with your finger. The round hole in one side of the top is there so water vapor( condensation) can escape. Seal that hole and you will have condensation build-up and smell inside the top panel...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
The tops are multi-part assembled with a bonding agent. If one of the corners has a pinhole in the bonding agent the top will admit water if the gasket seam fills with water during a rain and the vehicle is sitting at the right angle. If you have water in your top slosh it around each corner and look closely- it will leak back out the way it came in. Dry the leak area real well and apply a thin spot of sealer worked in with your finger. The round hole in one side of the top is there so water vapor( condensation) can escape. Seal that hole and you will have condensation build-up and smell inside the top panel...
Mine leaks out of the nut.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct- if it has enough water inside. It's not entering the top there...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Been raining here for a month, almost, not exageration, and heard sloshing of water in my driver side freedom top last night. I had run without the soundbar bolts in for several days as well. Need to go drain them....but it is suppose to rain all week.

Quick Reply: freedom top water