Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Freedom top leaking

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, play nice.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Really though, you should laugh about this. Do you happen to have a pic of the first installation? Because in my mind I am picturing the freedom panels on, then the rear - there had to be a pretty good gap and tell me you weren't able to bolt the rear back down?!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

The simple way to tell which order to put the panels on is look at the inside seam of each panel. One goes over the other to create the flat seal. You put the one where you can see the rubber "gasket" on first. I think the key thing to do is make sure you have the panel all the way forward and straight before you crimp it down.

I'm not sure if it's the same, but on my '07 freedom tops there is a plastic flip down. I'm pretty sure when you have the Top (back part) off, you flip those little plastic gap thingys down to fill in the gap/void that the Top (back part) would fill.

I've had those panels on and off more than I can remember, never a leak.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see what you guys are saying and yeah it is kind of funny however the panels were on correctly after all. I would have noticed a big gap like that. Im dumb not that dumb (at least I think). So that wasnt the issue and my top is still leaking. Oh well must be a defective seal or something
Old 11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte417
I see what you guys are saying and yeah it is kind of funny however the panels were on correctly after all. I would have noticed a big gap like that. Im dumb not that dumb (at least I think). So that wasnt the issue and my top is still leaking. Oh well must be a defective seal or something
I noticed when i put my panels on once that the weatherstripping between the panels bound up - that let some water in mine, took them off and made sure everything was laying down right and that fixed it. I can't recall and will have to look at mine to see what kind of weatherstripping is between the front panels and rear section. Hopefully yours is not missing
Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Mine was leaking on the driver side dash by the tweater. Took the front freedom panel off and put it back on and now it doesn't leak.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you need local help? I havent had a leak yet.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is a leak path through the adhesive on the FPs in the areas you describe. Take a look at the corners and make sure the adhesive is squeezed out all along the edges at the corners. If not, you could try to seal them yourself or else take in for warranty.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
well...you are from NY

you had this one comin' back at ya
Old 11-20-2010, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

When puting on the freedom panels, be sure to set them straight down from above and NOT slide them in from the side. This us whats rolls the lip of your weather strip causing it not to seal correctly.

Quick Reply: Freedom top leaking