Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Frame off paint job help. 6-10” not completely.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame off paint job help. 6-10” not completely.

Hey guys. New member, but love this forum.
I own a 2013 jk sport 2 door. 3.6, 6 speed.
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Surrounded by ocean, they salt the roads here heavy in the winter.
My jeep has started showing some surface rust on the frame (mainly welds) and light spots around the rocker panel (where it overlaps mainly)

I want to lift my body off say 6” , not completely off. Doing this so I can expose the frame all around. Remove rust patches, prep and do that POR 15 I’m thinking.

Anyone have any experience, tips, etc for doing this? A step by step guide would be lovely.

Im a pipefitter/plumber with a father who is a master tech mechanic. So I’m fairly mechanically inclined.

Thanks a lot.

I will I’ll be doing this in the driveway this summer. No lift
Old 02-27-2020, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have any tips for you in terms of the process. But look into using Ospho instead of Por 15. This is what they use on commercial fishing boats made of steel. Ospho actually kills rust and it will flake right off leaving bare metal behind.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would that be a prepping chemical, or actual paint?

Not very knowledgeable when it comes to painting,
Clean, sand, clean, prime, paint, clear coat. Is the extent of my knowledge lol.

Thanks for the suggestion as well!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ospho you'll be just knocking off the flaky pieces and painting it on. I've used it and it's been good. It would be nice to clean it up and then paint away with Ospho but I don't have the time to do it that way.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a prepping chemical. It's basically just phosphoric acid that reacts with iron oxide (rust) and turns it into iron phosphate killing it. The difference is, with Por 15 is just creates a barrier choking off air and moisture preventing it from getting worse so in the end the rust is still there.

Step 1 - get off as much rust as possible either sanding or using a scaler.(you don't need to go crazy because the ospho will eat it up regardless, but it will help it penetrate).
Step 2 - brush away with ospho, it's very watery so a little goes a long way.
Step 3 - once dry and all the rust has turned black you will want to get off the excess. It will become brittle and will flake off without much effort.
Step 4 - this step could be optional, but if you are taking your time I would take a rag and rub everything down with either acetone or denatured alcohol.
Step 5 - apply metal primer.
Step - 6 paint.

Whatever you do, do not spray ospho with a gun without a serious respirator. But I wouldn't recommend it at all.

http://www.ospho.com/directions.htm
Old 02-29-2020, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

With all the stuff to disconnect, and all the potential for trouble in the process, I think I'd try to work out a body in place method.

Quick Reply: Frame off paint job help. 6-10” not completely.