Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Found a solution to staned black plastic parts.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a solution to staned black plastic parts.

I recently got liquid wax on EVERYTHING on my brand new and of course black jeep.

Anyway I tried everything from dish soap to acetone nothing worked until I called meguiars and they told me about this new stuff they just put out.

Meguiars #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner

It took two shots at some spots but it worked unbelievably. I thought I was going to need new fenders originally because it was so bad. All you have to do is spray a little on and lightly scrub with a medium brush. Then just wipe it off and the plastic looks like new. It even took off a bird poop spot.

Its a bit pricey at $12 a bottle but it goes a long way. It also did not damage the paint in anyway, and due to how slippery and oil based it is it lubricates the brush enough to not scratch the paint as well around the trim.

Hopefully this helps someone out with similar issues I was really upset.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

thank you thats good to know, ill pick up some!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IV had the same problem with the stock front bumper.
Mine shows water stops and discoloration.
Iv used Back to Black and 303 on it but it still fades.
Im thinking about bedlining it and be done with it.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Black trim is my specialty.

Yes, back to black or 303 will fade. But you need to put multiple coats on it. One coat will not do it. Do it on a HOT day or in direct sunlight when your flares/black plastic is warm to the touch. It will absorb better.

Another trick is to use a sponge with tire shine. It will be messy if it rains, but it will be BLACK again.

I get wax on my plastics all the time, and it still looks good. Just scrub the 303 on there, wait 5 minutes, then scrub another liberal coating on it and let it soak in there.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I use Mothers' Back to Black on my fender trim, works great. Apply it with a aplication pad, and let the plastic absorb it in a circular motion, very happy with the product.

SLIM
Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

I was going to try back to black but I read reviews saying it runs and fades.

This stuff actually cleans the plastic back to its natural state onstead of trying to dye it black.

My trim is all brand new so I have no fading issues that would require dying the plastic.

I get the feeling back to black is just a black pigmented wax that stains it like regular wax does.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Black trim is my specialty.

Yes, back to black or 303 will fade. But you need to put multiple coats on it. One coat will not do it. Do it on a HOT day or in direct sunlight when your flares/black plastic is warm to the touch. It will absorb better.

Another trick is to use a sponge with tire shine. It will be messy if it rains, but it will be BLACK again.

I get wax on my plastics all the time, and it still looks good. Just scrub the 303 on there, wait 5 minutes, then scrub another liberal coating on it and let it soak in there.
Thats the problem Iv got is the bumper looks faded and looks like s&*^, thats why Im thinking about bedlining it.
Ill try your idea.
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Google carsystems refinish/restorer
Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM
H8R
JK Newbie

Me and my fellow Xterra owners have similar problems. Look up a product called "BLACKTASTIC" its the best stuff I've ever seen.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the tire shine. I use turtlewax ice with uv protectant on all my black plastic. A little goes a long way and it usually lasts for 2 weeks. Has stopped fading so far and makes it look better than new IMHO. I've heard the same brand wax doesn't leave residue on the plastic going to try that this summer!

Quick Reply: Found a solution to staned black plastic parts.