Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Folding down the Soft-Top and aligning the bows?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Folding down the Soft-Top and aligning the bows?

O.k. hoping someone can help here, I'm doing something your when i take my top all the way down, i can get the bars to lay flat on my 4 door...
I have to strap them going up the back roll bar at an angle \ like so, i can not get the bars that lay against the tail gate back far enough or something, so the soft top part is lay 8" up the back roll bar so it won't let me put the side bars flat?
I'm sure i'm being very confussing but i can post picture later.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_philosopher
O.k. hoping someone can help here, I'm doing something your when i take my top all the way down, i can get the bars to lay flat on my 4 door...
I have to strap them going up the back roll bar at an angle \ like so, i can not get the bars that lay against the tail gate back far enough or something, so the soft top part is lay 8" up the back roll bar so it won't let me put the side bars flat?
I'm sure i'm being very confussing but i can post picture later.
I understand what you are saying... but it's hard to figure out what's going wrong without a pic. When I lower the top, I fold it into sunrider first so it looks like this (notice the extra folds so the fabric is not hanging down into the rear seats):

Then, when I take it all the way back, I push and tuck the two folds neatly back into the cargo area so the folds form sideways "W" shapes like this:

FYI, this is kind of off-topic, so once you respond to this post so I know you've read it, I will move it into it's own thread in Stock JK Tech.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	topdown01.JPG
Views:	7109
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	22926   Click image for larger version

Name:	topdown02.JPG
Views:	3281
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	22927   Click image for larger version

Name:	topdown03.JPG
Views:	3253
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	22928  

Last edited by doojer; 04-23-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea sorry not trying to hi jack post, sun has just come out here in Seattle in last 30 minutes so i'll go drop the top and show you what i mean, but guessing from what your saying, i need not do the "W" fold for sun rider top, which i do now...
have a picture here in 30 minutes or so... Then i'll be on topic with top down.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mad_philosopher
Yea sorry not trying to hi jack post, sun has just come out here in Seattle in last 30 minutes so i'll go drop the top and show you what i mean, but guessing from what your saying, i need not do the "W" fold for sun rider top, which i do now...
have a picture here in 30 minutes or so... Then i'll be on topic with top down.
I added pics to my original post for you... hope it helps!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanx again doojer, figured it out:
My old way was easy and you just fold sun rider top back but then the top is folded half way up back roll bar but is realy easy to do by your self:

But as you see you can not lay bar flat:

You MUST tuck the top under the bottom bar that lays back on the tailgate:

Only had my jeep for 3 months and taking the top down 10 times to figure this out..........
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi

Glad it helped! I know, it's a little confusing and frustrating at first... but stick with it. I'm now at the point where, by myself, I can throw it down in about a minute.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi

Actually, from your pics, it looks like you got it to lie even flatter than mine does. I need to do a better job next time!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi

Seriously, though... how did you get it so flat? You can see that in mine, the fabric still rests against the roll bar a bit and keeps it from going 100% flat... but yours... it's like totally flat.

Mine:

Yours:
Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea dude mostly cause my fold job was super sh!tty, I just stuffed it down under the bottom bar that lays on tail gate and top was all jacked up under the tail gate area.
To get it super flat you need to put most of soft top under the very bottom soft top bar that hangs down.......
sorry just got back from happy hour, very early happy hour..........
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

one of my peeves is jumbled soft tops...

i like mine flat!

my original undertaking of pancaking the soft top: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...03&postcount=1

Quick Reply: Folding down the Soft-Top and aligning the bows?