Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

fn fantastic

Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fn fantastic

I filled up my gas tank last night in anticipation of the 20* nighttime temps and pending snow storm, then parked her in the garage. I woke up this morning and found a small puddle underneat the rear passenger door, and a strong order in the garage. I got down on my knees and discovered the puddle was GAS coming from somewhere on the fuel tank. I'm not sure exactly where because it is wet sort of on the side of the tank adn running down the frame rail slightly. See pic
So know we have over 2 inches of snow and I can't go play in my jeep. My second vehicle has a dead battery so I can't even get to Walmart to get a new one for that!

My question is, How hard is it to drop the tank in a 1 car garage with limited clearance and only a floor jack to work with? Should I just suck it up and have it towed to the shop and have them deal with it on a stand?
Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

For me, I wouldn't attempt to lower a full gas tank. If you do, or if you already have a lot of gas leaking, be sure any pilot lights in the garage are turned off (water and space heaters). And, if freezing weather is continuing, you might be best to get the Jeep out of the garage for the comfort of your family, and to prevent frozen water pipes.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I dropped as empty of a tank as I could manage on my 4dr, andI thought even that was a PITA. I wouldn't attempt a full tank, especially in such small quarters and with limited equipment. Weight of liquids adds up so fast. Sucks.....hope it's a simple fix.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gasoline has a very large density change per degree of temperature. What probably happened is you filled your tank, topped up, took a short drive home and parked it in a warm garage. The temperature of the gas warmed up enough that it just overfilled your tank and came out the vent. Your garage is probably cool enough or damp enough that the gasoline that did spill over couldn't evaporate.

The gas tank is designed to do that, but the trick is not to top up at -20.

Quick Reply: fn fantastic