Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Flat towing '08 Wrangler Unlimited

Old 09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an '09 JK 4 door X with auto trans. We have towed perhaps 3,000 miles behind our motorhome. As previously mentioned we tow with the transfer case in neutral; transmission in park. Use a non-chipped key to put ignition into "acc" position to unlock the steering wheel.

As far as battery, we just pull up the IOD (ignition off draw) fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. This is the fuse with the white plastic "collar with ears". It pulls up about 1/4 inch and turns off most of the vehicles circuits. The 12vt. power outlets are still hot for our towed vehicle braking system. I recall an earlier post thread about this that includes photos.

We do not accrue miles on the odometer while towing.

The only thing that has occasionally come up is that when trying to shift the transfer case into a drive mode, such as 2WD, after towing the lever sometimes feels "stuck" based on what I read here we never try to force it. Rocking the jeep just an inch or so fixes this issue. It is commonly reported that the linkage is of weak design...we already put a electrical tie on it to back it up a bit.

Last edited by FAW3; 09-15-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FAW3
We have an '09 JK 4 door X with auto trans. We have towed perhaps 3,000 miles behind our motorhome. As previously mentioned we tow with the transfer case in neutral; transmission in park.

As far as battery, we just pull up the IOD (ignition off draw) fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. This is the fuse with the white plastic "collar with ears". It pulls up about 1/4 inch and turns off most of the vehicles circuits. The 12vt. power outlets are still hot for our towed vehicle braking system. I recall an earlier post thread about this that includes photos.

We do not accrue miles on the odometer while towing.

The only thing that has occasionally come up is that when trying to shift the transfer case into a drive mode, such as 2WD, after towing the lever sometimes feels "stuck" based on what I read here we never try to force it. Rocking the jeep just an inch or so fixes this issue. It is commonly reported that the linkage is of weak design...we already put a electrical tie on it to back it up a bit.
Great first post. You covered all the bases.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem, but only registered on the trip meter - Found my error.

I had the key position in "ON" not "ACC" that caused the miles to rack up on the trip meter. "ON" must turn on the computer. It was nice to see 35 mpg on the dash, I should have taken a picture and told all of you I would sell you the secret.
I also learned on a different forum before I returned here, confirmed by others here on this thread, that you pull the IOD fuse to eliminate the power draw on the battery from the key in the ACC position. Long trip = dead jeep.

As a good friend tells me. You need to be slightly more intelligent than the equipment you are trying to operate!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joc1212
We have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door with stock everything including the automatic transmission. We were told by 2 dealers prior to purchasing (brand new) that when we towed it behind our Motorhome that it would not accumulate miles on the odometer. We now discover that it is adding miles which is totally messing up all the extended warranties and pre-paid oil changes.
Can anyone tell me how to prevent the JK from adding miles on the odometer when its being towed?
We did everything the owners manual said to do including disconneting the negative battery cable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Simple and EASY solution, go to a Camping World or Auto part store, and purchase a negative BLADE switch to attach to the negative side of the battery. When towing put Auto in neutral with car running, then put 4wd selector into neutral,( 4wd tansfer case MUST remain in neutral position) turn car off and put transmission into park. With key on the 1st click, leave it there to allow the steering wheel to move. Then close all windows and doors, open hoop and disconnect the blade. Your ready to go. I change out the key to a dummy key so that no one can start/steal my Jeep. If you go to the 2nd position, mileage will be counted. I have thousands of tow miles behind our motor coach and zero miles are added. YOU must disconnect the negative on battery and the blade is the answer. Make sure you have a motor coach braking system for your jeep. I usa an air brake system and its is great. Happy traveling......

Last edited by beadbus; 09-14-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an addition to my earlier post, when the shop installed the tow system, they also put a circuit breaker by the MH battery that trickle charges the Jeep battery when towed.
Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Why does everyone want to disconnect the battery???

There is no need for it. I am wondering why it is even called for in the manual.

I do not disocnnect and have never had a problem, even towing all day long....

Last edited by dpoelstra; 09-15-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sladekos
Forums... serious business.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
Why does everyone want to disconnect the battery???

There is no need for it, and it is not called for in the manual.
Hmm - I will have to double check that. I think I recall seeing that in the manual.

What break system are you using? Is it hard wired into the JK? Just curious, because I use U.S. Gear - tow brake system and its wired in. And yes, I disconnect the battery.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

No, I was wrong. It is in the manual, ( I edited my post) but I have never dosconnected the battery, and can not find a reason to, and besides a Brake Pro will not work. This is the very common inertia activated brake pedal pusher that is air powered, and is plugged into the DC outlet. What other common and relatively inexpensive brake actuators are out there? I have a class C coach with no air brakes, etc.

Seriously, I have towed the JK on long trips and never disconnected. I just make sure everything is turned off, and the only draw is the led readout on the dash, which draws mili amps, and will take a year to drain a battery.

I will never disconnect, and and really don't want to have to get rid of my Brake Pro.

Quick Reply: Flat towing '08 Wrangler Unlimited