Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Flat towing '08 Wrangler Unlimited

Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat towing '08 Wrangler Unlimited

We have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited 4 door with stock everything including the automatic transmission. We were told by 2 dealers prior to purchasing (brand new) that when we towed it behind our Motorhome that it would not accumulate miles on the odometer. We now discover that it is adding miles which is totally messing up all the extended warranties and pre-paid oil changes.
Can anyone tell me how to prevent the JK from adding miles on the odometer when its being towed?
We did everything the owners manual said to do including disconneting the negative battery cable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

It adds miles when towed even with the battery disconnected? Seems like all the computers would be dead with no battery power.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default drop drive shaft...

I know it sounds like a pain, but dropping the rear driveshaft is the best way to make sure your JK is safely towed. If you have the stock shaft I'll bet you can drop the shaft in 3 mins.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow08jk
I know it sounds like a pain, but dropping the rear driveshaft is the best way to make sure your JK is safely towed. If you have the stock shaft I'll bet you can drop the shaft in 3 mins.
Dropping the rear drive shaft is required for the 2wd Wrangler only.
On the 4wd, putting the transfer case in neutral is equivalent to removing both drive shafts. No need to remove either drive shaft. No benefits to be had.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yellow08jk
This is a completely uninformed response that sounds intelligent. Not sure where someone like this gets his information, but people who respond in such an ignorant way should not be allowed to answer questions on a forum.

For what it is worth, I have a 6 speed, leave the transfer case in neutral, the tranmission in 4th gear, and never disconnect the battery. If I disconnect the battery, the Brake Pro won't work. I have towed long distances and have had zero problems. No miles accumulated, no battery drain, not problems whatsoever. Have towed from Los Angeles to Lake Tahoe longest single day trek (500 miles or so).
Old 09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

t-case in neutral and disconnect the battery. no messing with shafts..
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what you are currently doing but as already stated above I just put my transfer case in neutral. Mine is not adding mileage.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, we have an 09 and when flattowing, all I do is transfer case in N and tranny in P.
Iv got the auto.
We towed it to Utah and back and had 0 miles show on the odometer.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
This is a completely uninformed response that sounds intelligent. Not sure where someone like this gets his information, but people who respond in such an ignorant way should not be allowed to answer questions on a forum.
Forums... serious business.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

I know, I know...Just caught me in the wrong mood.

Quick Reply: Flat towing '08 Wrangler Unlimited