Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Flat tire, do I need some TPS service kit?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MADDOGsrfr81
I've used plugs before, but never as a permanent fix. I really would prefer the internal patch vs. a plug so I'll probably bite the bullet. I am waiting to pic up that trail starter kit that was posted by one of the sponsors and I think plugs would be a good thing to add.
I have had a couple of different tires patched by Discount and there was never an issue with the TPMS...so I think someone is trying to cover their a$$. That being said, Discount has never steered me wrong on anything, which is why when I need tires I don't even bother comparing prices, they always get my business.

As far as the plug goes, when I have to I plug my own...although I know this is a temporary fix. It gives me enough time to get down and pay the few bucks to have an internal patch added as well. I have never had an issue doing this.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got it fixed at merchant, was the second cheapest but after it was done and I watched the guy it ended up being 38 with shop fees and whatnot. Also, I saw for a fact he didn't service the sensor, but arguing was no use.

It was funny, at first they told me it couldn't be patched and I was like it is no where near the sidewall
Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fix a flat

How does the spray can fix a flat interact with the tpms? Plug first & inflate with spray can.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cpobr
How does the spray can fix a flat interact with the tpms? Plug first & inflate with spray can.
I read when searching via google and people said it messes up the sensors, but if they replace them anyway I am not sure what the big deal is...
Old 11-02-2010, 03:15 AM
JK Newbie

I noticed that this TMPS service was suggested by a Firestone. Here's my 0.02 on them. When I was recently deployed my wife brought her 2 year old SUV in for an oil change because she had a coupon. By the time she left they had run up an estimate of over $2000 with anything and everything to include telling her that the rotors needed to be replaced. Thankfully my wife said no thank you and the next time we spoke on the phone I was read in on the incident. To say the least I was furious that in a huge military town that such a large name store would intentionally try to take advantage of my wife full well knowing I was deployed. Additionally frustrating was the fact that we spent quite a few phone calls discussing the issue verses getting to talk about the kids on the short calls we had. I had also found out that this was not the first time my wife had brought her car there nor was it the first time they had ripped her off. The last time they charged her $300 for a battery. After explaining what should have happened my wife started getting into to some regional and corporate rearends. By the time I got home a couple months later they had refunded us all the money she was duped into spending there. Upon my return I made it a point to stop by the shop to meet the guy that would try to rip my wife off while I was deployed under the pretense he was helping her out. He didn't have much to say .... Karma is a mo-fracky. You couldn't pay me to go into a Firestone. Sounds like BS is just limited to my local shop.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cpobr
It would plug the sensor hole and destroy the sensor. You can't use it with TPMS.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only danger with a patch job harming the sensor is hitting the sensor with the tire mounting machine.

You said they didn't touch the sensor, that's good! They are expensive to replace.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MADDOGsrfr81
Thanks to my neighbor who didn't sweep all the screws and nails after his new deck install I walked out to a totally flat tire. Put on the spare and I've been calling around to fix it and people are telling me that when the tire comes off they have to do a service kit to the tps sensor. My jeep is pretty new and this is my first car with the sensors but 50 bucks for a plug job seems a lil high? Does this sound right?
You be getting scammed dude.

We fixed a flat on one, replaced all five later, moved the oem TPMS to new rims and did not do anything to the sensors other than unscrew them and attach them to the new rims. No new parts or extra work required.

Quick Reply: Flat tire, do I need some TPS service kit?