Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fixed Steering now wobble?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed Steering now wobble?

So i took my steering shaft out and pulled the boot back and packed it full of grease. Tightened everything down tight and the infamous steering rattle is gone. Great.

Ever since then I feel a wobble (steering wheel shimmies) at around 40-50 mph...not before and not after, just around that speed range. COINCIDENCE?

I mean, the steering shaft is only 2 bolts and each end is directional, meaning it slides on only one way. Maybe...maybe I switched the shaft around? Or, again, is this coincidence?

Anyone experience any wobble after they fixed their steering?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Or maybe you always had that slight wobble but didnt notice it because of the play in the steering shaft. Now that you greased it up, you will feel it more.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

yeah it's possible, for sure.

Didn't have that much play in the steering to begin with, just that VERY subtle clunk when going over bumps or turning the wheel left/right. That very common problem MANY of the JK owners have experienced.

So I assume this type of wobble on these jeeps is most likely a wheel balance issue? maybe improperly torqued suspension components?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's at the same speed all the time, it's most likely a tire balance issue.

Quick Reply: Fixed Steering now wobble?