Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fixed door weatherstrip water leak (Long read)

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fixed door weatherstrip water leak (Long read)

My '13 JKR was water-tight from Day-1. My '15 JKR has had one nagging water leak ever since it was brand new. Right at the front edge of the driver's door a slight amount of water would trickle in. It was coming in right at the middle of the curve at the lower front under the retention strap. When it rains the carpet would get soggy. I've read about everything I could find on this issue and none of the fixes I had found would change anything. So I finally decided to forget everything I had read and start at square-one.

My weatherstrips were all in good condition and seated properly in their channels. One point to note was that I suspected the leak was at the transition area where the A-pillar for the window frame meets the cowl area next to the dashboard. And that turned out to be correct.

I used silicone grease and heavily coated the weatherstrip on the leading edge of the door then closed it in hopes of the grease transferring to the door jamb to show my contact points. Others have stated that the problem there is that the small gasket attached to the door frame is held in place by a plastic push-rivet and that allows for a poor seal. It turns out that the door weatherstrip hits just outside of that push-rivet, so the rivet itself should not be exposed to water with the door closed. Once I saw the area of transfer, I cut a piece of paper into a narrow strip and moved it all over the door sealing area and closed the door. I pulled on the paper to check the tension between the door and the frame. The only place where the paper would slide without much resistance was right at that area I suspected of being the problem.

That portion of the door gasket (where it curves) is reinforced with an inner foam core which resembles backer rod used in masonry. Think a skinny foam snake. That portion of the weatherstrip is also held to the door by two small plastic rivets and has a thin piece of foam behind it. I removed the gasket in that area and cut a piece of camper-shell weatherstrip (which is wide and thin) to fit behind it to push it out just a bit more tightly. I placed that piece of thin weatherstrip over the existing thin piece and punched two holes in it for the plastic rivets. I then put the door weatherstrip back in place. This time, my paper-test showed that the seal was tight there.

It has rained several times here this week. Last night was a VERY hard rain. And nothing has leaked. I can now proclaim this problem as fixed.

So if any of you out there also have the mysterious wet-carpet near the leading door opening, I hope this helps you fix it.
The following users liked this post:
GenMikeBR (11-25-2023)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting. Did you take any pictures?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Interesting. Did you take any pictures?

I did not. But I can certainly snap a few if it will help.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quick and easy:

The first picture shows shows the new gray weatherstrip piece behind the door seal.

The second shows the seal seal that mounts to the cowl area. You can still see the silicone grease that was transferred from the door gasket on both that seal and on the painted parts of the door frame.

The third picture shows where the water was eventually trickling in from after it ran down the door frame.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

Neat! I have a leak in the same area. I don't pay it much mind, my carpet is out and the tub is bedlined, but it might be nice to keep the moisture out. I'll check mine out, thanks!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to try this out. I have also been trying just about everything to fix a leak I am getting in the same area. Even purchased brand new weather seals for both front doors. That seemed to fix the drivers side door, but not the passenger side. I will say it is much less since replacing the seals but still not 100% yet.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hahahaha. It stormed like crazy last night and still water tight! Except this morning my PASSENGER door had the exact same leak! Too damned funny that in the 2.5 years I’ve had this the passenger door has NEVER leaked. Until I finally fixed the driver’s side. The gods have conspired against me. At least I know it’ll be a quick fix now though.

Quick Reply: Fixed door weatherstrip water leak (Long read)