Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First Oil Change, Jiffy Lube, Mobile 1

Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
My assumption is that we want to go to synthetic oil to have the best possible protection for our Jeeps. Because we love them, right, not because we're lazy. If we're lazy then this logic breaks down. So, we fork over $7.00 to $7.50 a quart for "full synthetic" oil. Then we stretch it to 6,000 to 15,000 miles between oil changes! Sometimes it's because we're cheap and sometimes it's because we just believe what the oil company says. Anyway, my "new" train of thought (minutes old actually) is that what we should be doing is buying a high quality synthetic-blend like motorcraft synthetic-blend for $3.50 a quart and changing the oil every 3000 miles. That way we have the protection of the synthetic additives and the benefit of frequent oil changes for the same cost. Yup, if we really loved our Jeeps I think that is what we should be doing.
MB
I hear ya. I suppose everyone will have their own "peace of mind" take on how they want to take care of their vehicle. As for myself, about 37 bucks for Mobil 1 silver cap and filter every 3000 to 3500 miles is cheap. I just personally wouldnt waste money on putting an oil in that is supposed to be good for 7 or 10,000 miles or whatever they are up to nowadays. Im not trying to dispute anyones points made on here. I just thought that thing I read about the gold cap was interesting. But the reason it didnt have the seal was because of environmental and emissions requirements I guess because of all the extra "additives".

Last edited by Mike De; 07-17-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

So that solves it. The thread I read was older so maybe it wasnt approved yet or whatever who knows. So if the price difference isnt much then it cant hurt to use it.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Th...%20Mile%20Myth.

Thought this was a pretty interesting article.

Last edited by Mike De; 07-17-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

just had this done this morning. second syn. oil change. i go with a local firestone center. 6qts of syn. and free tire rotation. $42. that was with a $20 coupon. best price i have found locally. we also have a jiffy lube, but their price on a syn. change is crazy!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by db99wj
Just went and had it changed by Jiffy Lube. I wanted to get the original oil out so I could get cleaner oil in so I went ahead and had it done. Got 3,275 miles on it, change oil light message came on about 2875. They asked me to go sit inside the wait room...I said no thanks and watched them..

Anyway found out that they have Mobile 1 available. I asked, what does it cost? He punched some numbers, and said $106!!!!! I said no thanks, he said, "we have Penzoil fully synthetic, it's just as good". I declined and said just put conventional in, I will figure out what I am going to do later.

They also didn't clean up the spilled oil on the axle housing from the filter

Before, on other vehicles, I just made sure they put in a new filter and watched as well. But I don't like this feeling of someone else doing this. I think I will do this on my own from now on out.

Anyway, $106 bucks seems utterly ridiculous to me. I know Mobile 1 is good, but it ain't that good!
I do my oil changes and I got lazy one day and went to Jiffy Lube....it was about the same price (a total rip off). Before I went to JL, I was waiting at Express Oil change with a $30 quote, but I did not feel like waiting. I will NEVER go back to Jiffy. Just changed mine last week at home with Mobile 1 for about $35.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
FROM THE MOBIL 1 FAQ SITE

Myth: Using Mobil 1 will void the warranty on my new car.

Reality: Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance will not void new car warranties, with the exception of the Mazda rotary engine (Mazda does not recommend any synthetic motor oil). Mobil 1 exceeds the API and ILSAC motor oil service requirements for all new vehicles, both import and domestic. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer. Watch our answer to this myth.

Since most new car warranties call for shorter service intervals than those enabled by Mobil 1 Extended Performance, ExxonMobil recommends you follow the recommendations in your owner's manual while your car is under warranty. <-- this removes them from potential liability.

<--- and you can see the API seal on the bottle too.
The same deal is with their filters....it states on the carton that it will not void your warranty.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by paratus13
I do my oil changes and I got lazy one day and went to Jiffy Lube....it was about the same price (a total rip off). Before I went to JL, I was waiting at Express Oil change with a $30 quote, but I did not feel like waiting. I will NEVER go back to Jiffy. Just changed mine last week at home with Mobile 1 for about $35.
I paid 34.94, tax and all and got conventional motor oil..
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
Hahaha .... where did you find this guy, it's great! I could use it for almost every other post on here.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
Hahaha .... where did you find this guy, it's great! I could use it for almost every other post on here.
When you do a post and the window comes up to type the response, like this one, there is a button at the bottom of the smilies to the right-->, click that, a separate pop up window comes up and it is there. A bunch more than just the ones to the right. I have to expand the window to see all of them.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know that web page that had a huge write up about oils and the base stock breakdowns. i read it decades ago (years really). It was a really good study, kinda like an oil bible type thhing?? Ne way it was pretty good info, with info about PAO base stocks and the benefits.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
Does anyone know that web page that had a huge write up about oils and the base stock breakdowns. i read it decades ago (years really). It was a really good study, kinda like an oil bible type thhing?? Ne way it was pretty good info, with info about PAO base stocks and the benefits.
Are you referring to this one: www.bobistheoilguy.com

Quick Reply: First Oil Change, Jiffy Lube, Mobile 1