Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First Oil Change, Jiffy Lube, Mobile 1

Old 07-16-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree guys, the wrench be it an oil filter wrench or just a strap wrench is the "cheap" way to go.

My local Jiffy Lube wanted $80 for Castrol syntec! Hadn't changed my own oil for 25 years but I did this time. 10-15 minute job (would have been shorter but.....I made a mess! )
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
Did you know that there are two types of Mobil 1 now. The silver cap is good for 3000 miles and the gold cap is the "extend" good for 7500. Here's the secret (check my facts) the gold cap is the old "fully synthetic" and the silver is the old synthetic blend. Now there is a long story about lawsuits and cracking hydrocarbons to be told (try searching) but the short story is go for the gold. I recommend staying away from the silver cap Mobil 1. and for those so inclined to cash in on a "oil and filter" special at the autoparts store... Beware of filters with anti-drain-back valve problems (try searching) because they typically are the ones being offered in the special. Three weeks ago I went with a six quart of Mobil 1 gold and Bosh premium filter special at Autozone and now I have the dry-start issue. So this weekend I get to try to change my filter without draining the oil first. I have to buy a new filter and an additional quart of oil to top it off with. So much for any savings!

MB

Howdy MB-08-JK(R),

May I ask where you got your information? I was just on the Mobil site and I don't see where they say anything about the oil change interval between the two. Then again I may have looked right at it and not realized what I was looking at

I was planning on using the silvercap for 6000 mile intervals.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickc309
Yep, same here...
x3 for the Mobil 1 Silver Cap
Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Those quickie in and out places can be sketchy!
You are sooooo right. And then it burns when you pee. What a bummer.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB-08-JK(R)
Did you know that there are two types of Mobil 1 now. The silver cap is good for 3000 miles and the gold cap is the "extend" good for 7500. Here's the secret (check my facts) the gold cap is the old "fully synthetic" and the silver is the old synthetic blend. Now there is a long story about lawsuits and cracking hydrocarbons to be told (try searching) but the short story is go for the gold. I recommend staying away from the silver cap Mobil 1. and for those so inclined to cash in on a "oil and filter" special at the autoparts store... Beware of filters with anti-drain-back valve problems (try searching) because they typically are the ones being offered in the special. Three weeks ago I went with a six quart of Mobil 1 gold and Bosh premium filter special at Autozone and now I have the dry-start issue. So this weekend I get to try to change my filter without draining the oil first. I have to buy a new filter and an additional quart of oil to top it off with. So much for any savings!

MB

KNOW YOUR SYNTHETIC OIL
Mibil 1 is not a Group lll base stock oil, and never has been. It is a Group lV base stock, and yes that includes the "what you call silver cap".
I would suggest you do some research on the synthetic group base stocks, and you will see the diference between a group lll and group lV.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Sorry but you're crazy for taking a vehicle you give a crap about to jiffy lube. DIY, Dealership, or a reputable shop. Those quickie in and out places can be sketchy!
Yes point taken. That is also why I didn't leave, and watched them do everything. This shop has been around for awhile and seems to have mostly the same folks in there. It is organized and clean. Not saying this means anything, but it does give the impression it is a well run shop.

Afterwards, I pulled into the parking lot and checked everything. I have also checked my fluid level.

I will be crawling under and checking again this weekend.

I also will be doing it on my own from here on out.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by db99wj
Just went and had it changed by Jiffy Lube.
I didn't get any further in your post before I stopped reading it.

Guys, DO YOU OWN WORK. Don't let these monkey MF'ers touch your Jeep.

Basic maintenance is fun and easy to do, saves you a ton of cash, and gives you that warm fuzzy of having performed the work yourself.

If you're an accomplished weekend wrencher and can do more than basic maintenance (like me - ), well, all the better.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok so now you guys got me comparing the gold and silver cap Mobil 1 since I just got done putting in the "silver cap". I was reading another discussion online and someone supposedly called Mobil and they said you can void your warranty using the gold cap. It doesnt have the rating star or whatever on it. They "supposedly" said if you are in warranty to use the silver cap. Also if changing the oil every 3500 miles or so(im just gonna stick with that) then I would think the gold cap is waaayyyy overkill.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Omaha
I didn't get any further in your post before I stopped reading it.

Guys, DO YOU OWN WORK. Don't let these monkey MF'ers touch your Jeep.

Basic maintenance is fun and easy to do, saves you a ton of cash, and gives you that warm fuzzy of having performed the work yourself.

If you're an accomplished weekend wrencher and can do more than basic maintenance (like me - ), well, all the better.
I know I know, I have been convinced to do it myself from here on out. For years, a good friend ran one of these, got into that habit of going, just what i have done, he's a cop now and I cant trust the work at these places anymore, that is why I feel all weird, I'm going to do my own...

Last edited by db09JKU; 07-17-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by db99wj
I know I know, I have been convinced to do it myself from here on out. For years, a good friend ran one of these, got into that habit of going, just what i have done, he's a cop and I cant trust the work anymore, that is why I feel all weird, I'm going to do my own...
Good for you then, bro!

Quick Reply: First Oil Change, Jiffy Lube, Mobile 1