Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First Oil Change

Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil Change

Hey everyone, I just bought an 09 Jeep Wrangler, so I'm still getting used to the "Jeep thing." (Even though I'm enjoying the hell out of it.)

Well, with about 900 miles on it (in 6 days!) I decided to check the oil. It's about halfway between full and needing to add a quart, so I figured it'd probably be a good time to get the oil changed.

Question for you guys is, would it be smart at this point to change over to Castrol Syntec? It's not 100% synthetic (even though it's advertised as such, heh), but it's about as close as you can get. I'm thinking about the metal shavings in the engine from the break in.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris Robinette
Hey everyone, I just bought an 09 Jeep Wrangler, so I'm still getting used to the "Jeep thing." (Even though I'm enjoying the hell out of it.)

Well, with about 900 miles on it (in 6 days!) I decided to check the oil. It's about halfway between full and needing to add a quart, so I figured it'd probably be a good time to get the oil changed.

Question for you guys is, would it be smart at this point to change over to Castrol Syntec? It's not 100% synthetic (even though it's advertised as such, heh), but it's about as close as you can get. I'm thinking about the metal shavings in the engine from the break in.
Howdy,

Welcome to the JEEP world

You will be fine using that oil for your initial oil change. I actually switched to Mobil 1 right off. What filters are you going to use? Do a search as there are a lot of posts on oil changes, oil science, filters etc.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
Howdy,

Welcome to the JEEP world

You will be fine using that oil for your initial oil change. I actually switched to Mobil 1 right off. What filters are you going to use? Do a search as there are a lot of posts on oil changes, oil science, filters etc.
Thanks for the welcome!

I was looking at that, I saw a lot of discussion about which oil filters properly retain oil to avoid a dry startup.

I chose a K&N filter, haven't heard any rattling at start up yet.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 AM
JK Jedi

Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, I say go for it!

Quick Reply: First Oil Change