Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First oil change.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serg5000,
I use Mobil1 with Fram xtended guard filter
Here at What Oil and Oil filters do you use?????? you can see what many others use.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Amsoil in all my Autos and motorcycles and same with filters - in my profession I need to analyze much info and I use the same depth when selecting items for home use.

Look up Amsoil they have outside research on their products - made a beliver out of me
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Mobil 1 5W20 w/ Fram Tough Guard #TG3614 filter. Zero dry starts.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Arrogantbastard
Royal Purple is great stuff.... Very expensive though. Any brand name syntheitc will work just fine though. People swear by this oil or that oil. It's all personal preference. Just get a good syn oil that has the right price and you will be just fine. Just get the correct weight (you can go a bit thicker then the manual). Changing your oil regularly is more important then type of oil. IMHO. Just always remember to change the filter as well. People slam Fram filters but I've been using Fram tough gaurd with zero problems. Every vehicle I've had has had fram filters. I will be switching to the K&N though on my next just because I am tired of buying filters
Just wondering how switching to K&N oil filter will keep you from being tired of buying oil filters? Are you referring to the Advanced Auto Parts deal with Castrol synthetic oil?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 AM
JK Super Freak

This slamming of Fram filters is news to me? Whats peoples problem with them?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKred
This slamming of Fram filters is news to me? Whats peoples problem with them?
It appears to be the cardboard end plates used on the media cartridge and whether or not the user has experienced dry starts while using one. Me, no dry starts so I'm happy so far.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Work in Progress - JK
I use Amsoil in all my Autos and motorcycles and same with filters - in my profession I need to analyze much info and I use the same depth when selecting items for home use.

Look up Amsoil they have outside research on their products - made a beliver out of me
I will agree with you that Amsoil is good stuff, but I am sticking with the Purple. Amsoil is not as readily available to consumers and I need oil I can get at the local Advance, not special order. Its good stuff though, just harder to find than Royal Purple. Also Say hey to another NC Jeeper! JOE>
Old 06-04-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO there are only three reasons to run synthetic.

You live in extreme cold.

You live in extreme heat.

You're going to run extended oil change intervals.

If you live in a moderate climate and plan on changing your oil every 3000 miles,don't waste your money on synthetic.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

i like the 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W-20 for this motor. And normally Mopar oil filter, but i have a couple oem's to use first. exact same as Mopar filters, but without the badge. (And a bit cheaper).

FYI, I have used Amsoil ONLY for 15+ years.. I recently got tired of having it shipped, and paying shipping.. and the slightly higher cost. I like Mobil 1 because I can get it local same day and be done with my work.

Last edited by plac; 06-13-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plac
i like the 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W-20 for this motor. And normally Mopar oil filter, but i have a couple oem's to use first. exact same as Mopar filters, but without the badge. (And a bit cheaper).

FYI, I have used Amsoil ONLY for 15+ years.. I recently got tired of having it shipped, and paying shipping.. and the slightly higher cost. I like Mobil 1 because I can get it local same day and be done with my work.
You using 5w-20 synthetic, or just regular oil?

Quick Reply: First oil change.