Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First oil change.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First oil change.

I want to do the first oil change on my X. How many quartz does it take? And what are you guys using as far as oil. I'm looking to go full synthetic. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Yes I do know asking about oil is stupid but this is my first jeep.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serg5000
I want to do the first oil change on my X. How many quartz does it take? And what are you guys using as far as oil. I'm looking to go full synthetic. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Yes I do know asking about oil is stupid but this is my first jeep.
6, familiarize yourself with the owners manual.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe it takes 6 quarts. I see a lot of people on here using Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the fast replies guy's.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Mobil1 synthetic with a mopar filter. Be SURE to use a quality filter with a check valve to prevent back-flow no matter what brand because you do not want cold-start knocking(dry, low oil pressure at start up) .
Old 06-03-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

6 quarts, page 397? in the owners manual (I just did it this weekend). I've been using Castrol Syntec since I got it. I used to use Mobil 1 in my truck, but am happy with the Castrol. If you go this route, you also get a K&N filter for free from auto zone. Just a thought. Dont skimp on your filter. Shitty filters arent worth it.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKred
6 quarts, page 397? in the owners manual (I just did it this weekend). I've been using Castrol Syntec since I got it. I used to use Mobil 1 in my truck, but am happy with the Castrol. If you go this route, you also get a K&N filter for free from auto zone. Just a thought. Dont skimp on your filter. Shitty filters arent worth it.
I've never heard anything good about K&N oil filters, but that's all been motorcycle related. I use Mobil 1 or Purolator PureONE filters.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tslewisz
I've never heard anything good about K&N oil filters, but that's all been motorcycle related. I use Mobil 1 or Purolator PureONE filters.
On my third oil change with one, not a single complaint.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKred
On my third oil change with one, not a single complaint.
Of course not! It's only very rare circumstances that something EVER goes wrong or even a little increased wear occurs after thousands and thousands of miles! The most important thing about oil to an engine is that it has it!

That being said, here's a bunch of reading on the subject:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

Though it isn't mentioned in that link, it's my understanding that K&N is made by Fram, which is frowned upon. Of course, that could be BS, too.

Yes, I realize it's rather motorcycle related, but it still might be interesting reading to some. Well, as interesting as reading about oil filters can be, anyway.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Royal Purple is great stuff.... Very expensive though. Any brand name syntheitc will work just fine though. People swear by this oil or that oil. It's all personal preference. Just get a good syn oil that has the right price and you will be just fine. Just get the correct weight (you can go a bit thicker then the manual). Changing your oil regularly is more important then type of oil. IMHO. Just always remember to change the filter as well. People slam Fram filters but I've been using Fram tough gaurd with zero problems. Every vehicle I've had has had fram filters. I will be switching to the K&N though on my next just because I am tired of buying filters

Quick Reply: First oil change.