Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First oil chane on the 3.6

Old 02-12-2015, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Just google it, the issue is there. Seems to be more common with those who run synthetic oil. I really hope these issues don't become common as they did with the 3.8..
I'm betting these are the guys that run the oil as long as possible. They forget, it's not about the oil breaking down, it's about the detergents being able to suspend the impurities, acids, etc., in the oil. Synthetics have a limit on how much crap they can hold on a molecular level before they are just recirculating the stuff through the engine for millions of revolutions.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

The filter holds quite a bit of fluid. Or at least it's compartment, I have never checked how much comes out, but every time, without fail, when I fill it back up it reads full after 5 quarts. Then I start the jeep and let it run for a bit. Shut it off and left it sit for a while. After it has sat for a few minutes I check it again, and it reads low, add the last quart (making 6) and it reads just fine. I check it occasionally, and have never had any problems.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tjkamp
The filter holds quite a bit of fluid. Or at least it's compartment, I have never checked how much comes out, but every time, without fail, when I fill it back up it reads full after 5 quarts. Then I start the jeep and let it run for a bit. Shut it off and left it sit for a while. After it has sat for a few minutes I check it again, and it reads low, add the last quart (making 6) and it reads just fine. I check it occasionally, and have never had any problems.
this makes the most sense out of these guys doing a refill of just 5 quarts and then, changing their oil out a few thousand miles later and thinking it's using/burning oil.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new motor may burn bore than an older one. Until true breakin occurs there can be blow by. Most manufacturers will say 1 qt is normal. I heard a couple think 2 qts is normal.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WINGIT
A new motor may burn bore than an older one. Until true breakin occurs there can be blow by. Most manufacturers will say 1 qt is normal. I heard a couple think 2 qts is normal.
never heard of that nor have I ever experienced it. Between about a dozen cars/trucks/SUVs and a dozen or so off road toys and a street bike. Never had I experienced a new motor burning oil.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually get 5 qt. out and put 5.5 back in. Filter takes some. I never fill to the max. Keep it at half on that impossible to read dipstick.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.6L Checked prior, full mark. Drain & Don't measure out pour 6 in, full mark. News to me the 3.6 is a oil burner. Head issue early on, read that. My 3.8 however used 1 full quart between changes and the cats smelled of sulfur on a regular basis- which is why I got rid of it with less than 30,000 miles.

Quick Reply: First oil chane on the 3.6