Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First Off Road Trip - 4WD Low Problems

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Off Road Trip - 4WD Low Problems

Hi All,

Just got my 2012 JK Unlimited. Automatic.

I was out on a trail in 4WD Low, when out of no where no power is getting to the wheels. I put it in 4WD High and have the same problem. Then put it in 2H and the Jeep works fine.

I then tried to put it in 4WD Low and again the same problem. Then put it in 4WD High and I WAS getting power, weird.

After I got back to my house I did a bit of troubleshooting and get these results:

-2H works fine
-I can successfully put it in 4WD High
-4WD Low does not transfer any power to the wheels and the engine just revs.

Any thoughts on this problem?

thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Are u sure the transfer case is properly engaged and not in neutral
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is that u are not fully getting the shifter into 4 lo. U are only making it to neutral. Try harder damn it! Lol
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
The problem is that u are not fully getting the shifter into 4 lo. U are only making it to neutral. Try harder damn it! Lol
Never occurred to me. The shifter is getting all the way to the bottom though and that does not explain why it would disengage into N in the middle of the trail after being in 4LO for about an hour.

Is there any harm in getting into 4Lo on the pavement to see if I can get this working?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be ok on pavement as long as you go straight back and forth. Turns on pavement can cause binding from the front axle which is not the best for it.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamesP

Never occurred to me. The shifter is getting all the way to the bottom though and that does not explain why it would disengage into N in the middle of the trail after being in 4LO for about an hour.

Is there any harm in getting into 4Lo on the pavement to see if I can get this working?
You can test 4 Lo on the street. Just drive it in a straight line. You don't want to make turns because it will bind up the drivetrain and put unnecessary stress on the axles and transfer case.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if ur shifter cable is shredding and stretching and not allowing u to fully pull the tcase all the way back into 4lo?..... A linkage issue perhaps. Or u just need to man up and pull harder....pull on that damn lever like ur trying to start a push mower.....

Worst case take it to dealer and complain till thier ears bleed and they will resolve it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 AM
JK Freak

Pull that puppy like there ain't no tomorrow
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Cool A Second Look

Over the past 15 years, I have assisted several new Jeep owners learn how to get into and out of 4WD. The most common mistake I witness, with folks who have auto is this.

- From 2WD to 4WD Hi, and return - no problem

- From 4WD Hi to 4WD Low - one problem. Here's the recommended procedure:
-- JK moving 2/3 mph forward
-- Shift tranny to N
-- (In one motion) Shift the TCase to N and then pull back to the 4Low position pulling
slightly to
the left. This should place the TCase in 4Low and the 4WD light should be lit on
the dash.
-- Shift the tranny back into DRIVE ! This is the step that most new drivers
overlook. They rev the engine, red line the tach and curse the very name of Jeep for
having the nerve to not work as advertised. But it is. Shift the tranny back into Drive
and I think it will work just fine.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Desert Fox; 06-29-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: First Off Road Trip - 4WD Low Problems