Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...

Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just drove to Destin FL from St. louis with my wife and 2.5 yo Son in his carseat. I run a 2.5BB with 1in BL and 35 M/T's and its an auto with 4.10's . I have had lots of jeeps including a 77 CJ7 and have never had a cush riding vehicle. So this thing is still a dream to drive although it is loud with just the soft top and tires humming at 70mph.

I don't have bad hood flutter and I know it wont open so I dont care.

I have the overflow issue and just use the water by the pump to wipe down the gas before I pull away no big deal. (Although my warranty is up in like a week and i may call and see what they say).

I haven't gotten DW yet but have had it in the past on another vehicle, and every time my tires even shake at all I clitch my ass lol. My 91 XJ had a 4 inch lift with 31's and it did it bad for a long time. I never drove it over 50 and didn't dare get on the highway without a prayer. I upgraded to a JKS trackbar with the lift and it didn't help, no matter how tight I got it. Then I found a Kevin's Offroad track bar bracket and poly bushings with a heavy duty track bar and that thing drove like a champ. I would have never sold that xj if they would not have come out with the 4 door wrangler. Once it came out, I had everything I ever wanted in a jeep. 4 doors and a Softtop.

The power is the worst thing with this jeep. My old 91 4.0ho ran circles around the JK. On the way home from the dealer with the Jk my wife and I lined up at a red light. Light chaged and I was gone with the XJ she didn't stand a chance, hated to sell that jeep. Going up hills I reach down and turn off the overdrive then turn it on at the top, kinda sucks. I order at superchips when I got home from FL and a cold air that will go on this week, Hope that helps some. Gears are next but not till I break something (front axle prob) then its gears and lockers.

I deal with some leaks (they all do it) and some rough ride (All jeeps do) and I love this thing. Once we got to florida I took the top off and drove around florida for 7 days and the family had a blast. Best jeep I have owned (XJ is real close).

Last edited by 98Vobra; 05-24-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
JK Newbie

I drive 400 miles each weekend in my JK. No DW but lots of hood flutter. I run mine 75-85 mph. Definatily not something you can drive with one hand. Usually a lot of white knuckle driving on some of the roads. I love taking the JK on long trips but my wife and son don't like it. Mostly due to the lack of creature comforts.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just returned from from a round trip to Mammoth caves, Nashville and back to Michigan. About 1400 miles total. Pouring rain, heavy winds and lots of hills. The only time I got nervous was going through standing water at 65mph at the bottom of hills on I75. Maybe it's the short wheelbase of the 2dr but all four wheels seemed to be in the puddles at once and I was just hoping that the jeep would stay on a straight track.

Last edited by lakeguy; 05-24-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

DW-The local shop I go to for parts he has seen issues with stock track bars flexing and cracking in the J-bend. He also hit and pushed on my drag link and it flexes nicely. Will be upgrading to Teraflex draglink and trac bar brace soon. I was looking at the front end yesterday as a friend turned the wheel, the stock track bar bracket frame side flexes also.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Former Member

we drove 2,000 miles to moab, beat the hell out of it and drove 2,000 miles home

37's were very smooth 75 mph plus on the highway
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mostly stock Rubi

OK, no lift here, just a mostly stock Unlimited Rubi.

I drive from Charlotte, NC to Pittsburgh, Pa (through West Virginia) at least 3 times a year. 5 times so far with my JK. Just Hit 20k on the odometer. Stock BFG MT tires and rims.

No major hood shakes.

I always take the gas to empty and refill, never any issues (but overflow seems to be a common issue, so maybe I've just been lucky).

Now I'm not saying this is you...But:
Remember that this is a Jeep, not a car. If you're doing over 80+ mph you should be driving a car. Most people who switch to a Jeep are so used to the ways cars and SUVs handle that the JK seems sluggish, the roof is 'noisy', hood is awkward, interior is too basic. Jeeps are not smooth, luxuary cars - they are moody, rugged beasts. And we add larger tires, lift kits, body armor and everything else to make them great off road and worse on road. No great gas milage, soft interior.
I know a guy who lifted his Unlimited, threw on new rims, 35s, heavy duty front and rear bumpers and winch (lots of weight), and has never gotten any mud on his Jeep. Quite the opposite - keeps it super shiny and clean. And then complains about poor gas mileage, cost of tires and gas, that it doesn't fit in his garage, etc.

OK, sorry for the rant. I just think you should know who you are climbing into bed with.

That said, I am never the slowest car or struggling uphills. Power level always keeps me with or better than traffic, and I go about 5 above the speed limit. 75 mph easy. Engine never struggles to keep up.
I drove a TJ with the I6 for years, and that suffered with power issues on hills, especially with AC running.
My JK has better gas mileage, more 'street' power, handles better than my TJ.

Now, I'm no expert on the Death Wobble, but from what I've read, a true Death Wobble is so bad that you think your vehicle is about to explode. Otherwise you're talking about some adjust that need to be done.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

That TF track bar looks like a really nice piece .... it's not high on my mod list though. The DW definitely has something to do with the SRA's ... I've been purposely hitting holes with the KM's installed with no DW issues ..
Old 05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Teraflex 4in. + 1in coilspacers + 1in bodylift on 37's . 28hrs driving to moab , then 28hrs back. Hit somecrappy roads every once in awhile, but wasn't uncomfortable at all. Just a looonnnnngggg ass drive.Boredom was the worst thing.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hood wranglers!

After a drive to Vegas and back, about 8-9 hours each way I got the daystar hood latches!
Otherwise it was not a bad ride at all. Sleeping "in" the back seat of a 2 door, now that's a different story. "In" because my legs were in the front, the windows etc. Not like my Xterra was... but I was happy to get rid of that for the JK!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

wow, in 2 days i am leaving for my annual fishing trip from CA to OK. It's 1500 miles each way. I am starting to worry about the drive. I have done it 5 times before with my Chevy colorado and it was a piece of cake. I am lookign forward to see how the jeep handles it.
Can anyone give me an idea what gas millage i should expect?
I have a stock 2008X 4dr, 4x2 , automatic.
I am budgeting 18mpg
Also i am flying from TX to myrtle beach sc, but if the jeep does ok to oklahoma will continue driving all the way to myrtle beach with it. The plane ticket is just in case the jeep don't make it. I am really worry it will break down. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...