Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...

Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh. I took mine on a 4,500 mile road trip. Slept in the back a few times on a blow up mattress. Took the top panels out in San Fransisco and Sequoias and Vegas and etc, popped them back for a relatively quiet highway ride. Mine is basically stock outside except for rails, but I think it is an awesome road trip vehicle. As comfortable as my Grand Cherokee on the highway? No. Full open air of my TJ no. But overall, for a Jeep in particular, this vehicle is by far my favorite. What other vehicle can bring you pretty much ANYWHERE you want to go with as much comfort? Only complaint might be the wind catching the vehicle a little much, but that keeps you alert for those boring stretchs. Hood flutter only when it was really windy or a semi blew by.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I take mine on 5 hour trips all the time and have had none of the problems you discuss. I have dual tops and usually switch to hard top if I am going to be on highway for 2+ hours.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

well my jeep is all stock. but i drive 2 hours just about every thursday then back on sundays. i have never had dw or problems with the hood flutter. i love ridin in the jeep. to me my jeep rides better than my 06 honda civic did on the highway even goin 70 o 80 but thats just me
Old 05-11-2010, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07redjk
well my jeep is all stock. but i drive 2 hours just about every thursday then back on sundays. i have never had dw or problems with the hood flutter. i love ridin in the jeep. to me my jeep rides better than my 06 honda civic did on the highway even goin 70 o 80 but thats just me
I agree .. stock JK's have fewer issues. While in WV we took my friends stock Sahara JK 120 back and forth to Charleston .... I drove and it had to DW or shimmy at all.

I'm gonna try to find some 6 foot rulers and set my Toe-In this week before I pay the dealer for an alignment. I may also remove 1" of spacer and see how that helps. I checked my Track-Bar today. I didn't have a Torque wrench handy but I was hanging on those bolts and they didn't budge.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I balance and rotate my tires every 6000 miles. Some tire places do a better job than others and you can feel the difference when you hit bumps. I do a 500 mile drive every week.

I have never had DW ( knock on wood) yet. I have driven to Moab (990) miles with no problem driving 75 to 80 mph. I took out the hood spring to help with the hood flutter.

Good Luck in solving your problem.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

2008 SAHARA UNLIMITED 4X4 WITH 57000 MILES DROVE NEW YORK TO FLORIDA AND BACK 65 TO 85 MPH NO DW, NO HOOD FLUTTER, NO FILL UP PROBLEMS, JUST A LITTLE BIT OF NOISE FROM SOFT TOP HEADER (SINCE FIXED). DID HAVE CATS CHANGED 300 MILES AGO UNDER 8/80 WARRANTEE, HAD P0430 CODES AND DEALER UPDATED TRANS MODULE. JEEP JUST KEEPS ON ROLLING
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

I live in PA home of the nations worst rodes, and haven't had DW issues. I think the Rough Country dual Stabilizer helps with that. I run 4 inches of lift and 35 12.50's which make the JK wander a little. The fun begins when I pull two 4x4 atv's on a deckover trailer. A few time I thought I would need to get out and push to make it up small hills. Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

took mine on a round trip tucson to vegas right after i bought it. no problems, although it wa windy as hell and had lots of hood flutter. got daystars when i got home. problem solved. ive got 22k on it now...no death wobble and never had any fueling problems either. if it wasnt for crappy fuel mileage, id be taking it to cali at the end of the month. i love to drive it!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Well .. on a postive note ... I got 22 MPG on the trip ...

Last edited by dmhines; 05-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what's funny. I had a 95' Cherokee XJ - bone stock that had a death wobble issue on and off, didn't happen all the time just happened from time to time on the highway. Also had an ignition lock that went bad.

Now that I look back at it there is some quality control problems with Chrysler.

My 2003 Dodge Caravan had an ignition lock issue last year.

Now make me wonder how long until my 07 unlimited starts to DW.

Just FYI on the Gas tank overfill problem, I had that issue as well. Need to have the Gas tank replaced. This problem also is effecting other Chrysler vehicles.

Quick Reply: First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...