Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...

Old 05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...

Went up to WV this weekend. Took 85 to 26 to 119 .... It was WINDY WINDY WINDY on Saturday. Tally for the weekend:

7 Death Wobbles - 5 caused by transitions from road to overpass on 26 and 119. 2 caused from hitting a pothole. DW on my JK is much easier to produce on the 17" SRA's than on the 17" Rubi M/T. Something going on with the lighter/thinner tire? I have actually never had one on my M/T's.

Hood Flutter ... For just about the entire 400 miles trip on Saturday ... driving 65MPH with 30MPH winds .. I thought my hood was gonna blow off the entire way.

First time filling up the Jeep after running it to Empty ... Gas Tank Overflow. This has never happened to me before. Luckily I was cleaning the bugs off the Windshield and caught it after only dumping 1/2 gallon on the ground.

Lots of mountain driving ... and lots of bogging and cars passing me on the left ... I guess I should have dropped it in 3rd and revved to 4500 RPM ... but I refused to go below 4th.

I think I'll be sticking for local trips from now in the in JK.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmhines
Went up to WV this weekend. Took 85 to 26 to 119 .... It was WINDY WINDY WINDY on Saturday. Tally for the weekend:

7 Death Wobbles - 5 caused by transitions from road to overpass on 26 and 119. 2 caused from hitting a pothole. DW on my JK is much easier to produce on the 17" SRA's than on the 17" Rubi M/T. Something going on with the lighter/thinner tire? I have actually never had one on my M/T's.
DW seems to be a finicky bitch. Everybody had found different reasons and different cures.

Hood Flutter ... For just about the entire 400 miles trip on Saturday ... driving 65MPH with 30MPH winds .. I thought my hood was gonna blow off the entire way.
Remove the spring under the hood and install daystar latches.

First time filling up the Jeep after running it to Empty ... Gas Tank Overflow. This has never happened to me before. Luckily I was cleaning the bugs off the Windshield and caught it after only dumping 1/2 gallon on the ground.
The gas tank's vent seems to clog/straight up fail. I will stop pumping half way and pull out the nozzle and wait a minute and then start again. Kinda like when ur trying to stop yourself from busting a nut.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had my gas tank replaced --WARRANTY --no more spitting up
I had my steering stabilizer replaced --WARRANY --no more DW
I kinda like the hood flutter, but that's me

I don't know how long you've had it, but just like any relationship, the bad grows on you same as the good

edit: I guess by your post count, you've had it awhile....CHEERS
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

my DW occurred on my cross country drive in March.

Replaced Dampner - NOT warranty didn't fix it
Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trip, Dmhines. I also just returned from a road trip--to Moab. No DW, despite lots of mod's that invite it. No hood dance (but I have zip-ties on the hood to stop it). No gas tank overflow (guess I've been lucky). And the JK's engine performed about as well as can be expected for 202 HP on windy days in hilly terrain. Some cars have more HP/acceleration--they often passed me--and some cars don't--I passed them.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had DW...as Willy did, I had the stabilizer replaced under warranty...fixed the issue.
My JK still pukes gas though...I just always fill it to near full...not all the way.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:50 AM
JK Super Freak

My JK has almost 13K miles on it. This is the 1st time I ran the tank from FULL to EMPTY ... it seems that after doing that I now have the Overfill issue.

I'm gonna check the SS today .. maybe it's shot ... I've never seen it leaking. Also need to check out the Track bar bolts ... Got a $10 alignment coupon from dealer so gonna have the alignment done as well.

Maybe the JKU front springs plus 2 inches of Teraflex spaces is too much? Does the factory specifically RAKE the front end of the jeep down to prevent hood flutter and DW ??? My Jeep is perfectly level right now ... no rake at all.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

My JK has almost 13K miles on it. This is the 1st time I ran the tank from FULL to EMPTY ... it seems that after doing that I now have the Overfill issue.

I'm gonna check the SS today .. maybe it's shot ... I've never seen it leaking. Also need to check out the Track bar bolts ... Got a $10 alignment coupon from dealer so gonna have the alignment done as well.

Maybe the JKU front springs plus 2 inches of Teraflex spaces is too much? Does the factory specifically RAKE the front end of the jeep down to prevent hood flutter and DW ??? My Jeep is perfectly level right now ... no rake at all.
I've got the TF leveling kit on my Rubi AND the Daystar hood wranglers; no hood flutter under any circumstance. I've never experienced DW, knock on wood...
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Sorry to hear about your trip, Dmhines. I also just returned from a road trip--to Moab. No DW, despite lots of mod's that invite it. No hood dance (but I have zip-ties on the hood to stop it). No gas tank overflow (guess I've been lucky). And the JK's engine performed about as well as can be expected for 202 HP on windy days in hilly terrain. Some cars have more HP/acceleration--they often passed me--and some cars don't--I passed them.
202 is Flywheel numbers lol the Drivetrain eats 30% or more of the HP numbers, From what ive read the JK normally produces runs from 130 to 150 HP, so just my .02
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Lots of mountain driving ... and lots of bogging and cars passing me on the left ... I guess I should have dropped it in 3rd and revved to 4500 RPM ... but I refused to go below 4th.

I think I'll be sticking for local trips from now in the in JK.
DW with stock tires and wheels?! I didn't think that happened unless it was modified. Makes me worry about driving to Myrtle Beach this summer.

Quick Reply: First long distance trip in JK ... it sucked ...