Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First Experience with Death Wobble????

Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just messin with ya hellbound, think of a circular level that wobbles, a tire sits on it and there is a bubble window with cross hairs on it. You add weights to the tire to get the bubble centered in the crosshairs.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Just had my 37in toyo's rotated and re-balanced today. The shop that originally mounted my tires did the static bubble balance(old school) Had road vibes at 50-60mph. The shop I went to today dynamic balanced mine today on a machine , no road vibes or shimmy. I also got an alignment on their $40,000 laser alignment machine. My numbers were pretty close to where they needed to be, he added abit more castor to my driverside to help with the pull to the right and fine tuned my toe. First tech I've talked to in a long time that knew his shit. Drives like a dream now. Did they bubble balance your tires or put them on a machine?
As mkjeep points out dynamic balancing is critical with large tires.

Unfortunately, the larger the tire, the harder it is to find a shop that has a machine big enough to dynamically balance the tires.

Usually off road shops have the right machine.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Just messin with ya hellbound, think of a circular level that wobbles, a tire sits on it and there is a bubble window with cross hairs on it. You add weights to the tire to get the bubble centered in the crosshairs.
Ah makes sense. Does not sound terribly accurate though..
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Ah makes sense. Does not sound terribly accurate though..
It's not But the toyo'actually balanced really well with that, just a low pitched vibe at 55-70 or so, in those ranges anyway. Ruled out the front ds by taking it out. Knew it wasn't the rear, still a stocker back there. When I brought the tires to the new place, they said that was the largest they would balance on their machine.The toyo's have a little yellow cicle on them that they are supposed to line up where the valve stem is when they mount to the rim so they balance better. Guess it depends on the rims too.

Quick Reply: First Experience with Death Wobble????