Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

First broken windshield

Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well picked up my 2014 Rubicon about a month ago. Paid first payment today and four days ago on vacation I noticed this crack. Think epoxy would seal it good enough that high up?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

They should sell them by the six pack. I am on number three. At least they are easy to change
Old 06-26-2014, 07:55 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah not to freaked out. Costs me $100 through insurance. Would rather just epoxy if it would h9ld.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my rig for three years and I've had 3 windshields. It's part of owning a jeep and with a flat windshield you just get used to it. I'm now keeping the cracked windshield until I need a new piece of glass for inspection. My tj was the same way. Owned it for 4 years and had a new windshield every time I needed an inspection. Gotta love jeeps.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Got a crack on my 07 the following day I got it from the dealer. Took it to one of those places that fix and cjarge the insurance company. The crack never progressed. Still the initial 5in.

I guess that if you crack and leave it cracked it will not get more. Like lightnings falling in the same place. Possible but unlikely.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine on day 3 of owning it.... and that was 2 years ago. Started as a big rock chip and by the time the stupid filler guy showed up (taking his sweet time, 5 hours later) , the sun beat on it so hard it spread too long for him to fix. Ive ran with the crack since then and never really care since its on the passenger side. Hasnt grown either which is good. Have tons of other rock chips...

The Jeep is a catchers mit for rocks.... get used to it.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by joshobrien77
Well picked up my 2014 Rubicon about a month ago. Paid first payment today and four days ago on vacation I noticed this crack. Think epoxy would seal it good enough that high up?
I would try and epoxy it and see how it holds. I just went thru hell on my 2014 with windshield replacement. Mine took a rock within a few months and it spread the length of the window but I wanted to wait until after winter as they gravel the roads here. It took the glass shop 3X to keep it from whistling. They would not listen to me when I told them they needed to raise the shield up and that it was not supposed to be perfectly centered in the frame. They kept centering it and all the factory windows I was looking at were set with more gap on the bottom then the top. they finally set it correctly but it took me pitching a bitch each time.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Three is the lucky number! I'm on my third also.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default glass

I carry a $100 deductible on mine. and glass is free repairs. (not free replacement).
Old 06-27-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

I use to be an auto glass installer. That chip won't cause any leaks. Do not try to seal around the window. And never use silicon caulking on metal. It causes a chemical reaction to the metal that causes extensive rust. The actual seal is behind the black frit band around the 1" edge of the window. It's still perfectly sealed.

Leave it be, pay for a replacement, or depending on state laws comprehensive insurance may pay to replace it.

Quick Reply: First broken windshield