Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Finally for my Squeeky JK friends

Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had mine replaced(too bad had to pay)

have had workorders for chirp+hardshifting sinse 9000k now at 35000k,disc only covered for 20000k had to pay but will appeal to customer service,to make matters worse rookies at dealership aired up slave cyl.during trans r+i spongy pedal,hooked up with pedal less than 1" from floor+tried to tell me this was normal and that clutch could not be bled as was sealed unit(obviously unable to read thier own service lit.,gave up,took back to my own shop,bled the slave,now works great,no chirp better 1st to 2nd shift as well(when warm)
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got it back from the stealership and its safe to to say it went well. No more chirp, truck does feel different though. 1st and 2nd are alot smoother because the friction point is lower, closer to the ground and i like it this way. Had G40 done aswell!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow. I guess I was just used to my other Jeeps in the past and when I heard the squeak I just though "it's a Jeep". Now that I think of it, though, I paid for a new JK and it's way too early for this "squeak" stuff. I'm going to have to take it in.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default Basketball squeak

I'm not sure this will solve the squeak in my 6sp. I say that because the noise happens whether I use the clutch to shift or not. And , yes , you can shift the 6sp easily w/o the clutch. The squeak is there equally w/ clutch and no clutch....so how could the clutch disc fix it??
Old 01-09-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trust me.. i was thinking the same thing.. how could it be the clutch if it not only when shifting.. it is..obviously the torque of the vehicle causes it to press against the disc or something.. as the TSB says;

The customer may experience a squeak-like sound from the transmission clutch. This sound will occur when there is a change in engine torque. The squeak-like sound can be heard most often during: clutch engagement, acceleration (tip-in), and/or deceleration
maneuvers. This condition may be due to the clutch disc internal components.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea if your in 1st or 2nd going like 10mph, punch the gas and you will hear the squeak. Its changes in torque when you press the gas which causes it to squeak...mine had all those symptoms. Brought it in, they had my jeep for day and now its drives so much smoother squeak free.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default failure is in dampner hub of clutch disc

the failure that causes the chirp is in the dampner hub of disc.any change in torque applied to input shaft of trans either when shifting with clutch or just using throttle to apply quick torque will cause dampner to move to help absorb shock load on disc assembly.that is why whether you use clutch or not the chirp under torque is caused by disc,updated disc will cure chirp and mine had feeling of "excess lash" that is better with new disc.warning I do not know how this will play out for you with"lifetime warranty"but for myself (march 21 07 delivery date)in the fine print for my 5yr 160,000km warranty it states clutch disc only covered for 1 yr,20,000km
Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Re: 20,000km... mine was over that but was still covered because I had been complaining about it long before 20k.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Squeek

Hope this helps you before you get so sick of the thing you trade it in, not that i care because i now own another suv, but i went wheeling my last time before trading my wrangler in and the heat shield was rattling and just a funny thing the noise had stopped i tried everything to duplicate the noise again hard shiffting fast acceleration everything but for the life of me i couldn't get the noise to come back. So my guess it was the heat shield dont know how or were it was affecting it from but this was my experience. Now before this noise would happen evreytime i shiffted no more noise after the heat shield started to rattle hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default squeek

just to add a second not i dont believe its the clutch at all because i had the throwout bearing replaced 3 times and the 3rd time they replaced every internal part in the clutch and it still made this noise.

Quick Reply: Finally for my Squeeky JK friends