Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Finally broke something

Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine broke as well. Had the dealer fix it.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Broke mine awhile back. Same problem with the plastic teeth on the metal shaft breaking. Ordered a replacement from moparparts. The new one has a metal insert cast into the plastic handle, so now it's metal on metal. Obviously they figured out that there was a problem.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

Mine broke, I am going to explore creative options to fix it. I like the pin/bolt through it idea...
Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost the same thing happened to mine with those threaded rods/knobs that hold the door surround pieces on. First time I went to unscrew them when it was over 80 degrees out, the knobs just stripped right out with no effort at all. I had to use vice grips to unscrew the shafts. This happened on 3/4 of them........and I was being REALLY carefull. I tryed to fix it with gorilla glue, but that got tacky again on hot days. I have since cleaned and then heated the rods with a propane torch and jammed them down into the knobs so the plastic would melt around the knurled end. This has worked "so far", but just plain and simple........its a REALLY shitty design.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toad
Mine just recently took a dump as well. How much are new ones and do you think it's worth it to get a new one or just mod something? I haven't took anything off to look at it..I didn't know you could.

I would try modding the old one before getting a new one.

I liked the abaility to raise my seat when offroading. I didn't ever lift my seat for normal use, but when I am offroad, it gives you a little better perspective of things...
Old 07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08JKWrangler
I guess I am only supposed to drive the Jeep in the winter...
I left a shovel in the back of my Jeep with the metal shovel head resting on the seat back fabric. 2 hours in the hot sun and the edge of the shovel completely melted right through the seat back fabric. Chrysler told me they looked into it and it wasn't a design issue so there is nothing they can do.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
... I tryed to fix it with gorilla glue, but that got tacky again on hot days. ...
If it needs repair again, go to a boat shop and pick up some Marine Tex. It's the stongest adhesive I've ever seen--I used some on the block of my Tenth Anniversary Trans Am to repair a casting defect 30 years ago, and it's still holding. About ten years later I broke the turn signal lever--used Marine Tex to repair it and it's held ever since. Heat can be used (optionally) to cure Marine Tex. Once hardened, it's so tough that you can drill and tap it.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If it needs repair again, go to a boat shop and pick up some Marine Tex. It's the stongest adhesive I've ever seen--I used some on the block of my Tenth Anniversary Trans Am to repair a casting defect 30 years ago, and it's still holding. About ten years later I broke the turn signal lever--used Marine Tex to repair it and it's held ever since. Heat can be used (optionally) to cure Marine Tex. Once hardened, it's so tough that you can drill and tap it.
Awesome tip......I'll pick some up wether I need it or not. Sounds like it could come in handy for a lot of things.

Quick Reply: Finally broke something