Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Finally broke something

Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally broke something

Got in the Jeep after it was baking in 105 degree sun all day, sat in the seat, pulled the little lever on the left side that lifts the seat height and it didnt do anything. I pulled off the little plastic end cap to see what was going on and noticed that the metal shaft was so hot that it melted the plastic gear that it engages. Another mastermind Chrysler design. I guess I am only supposed to drive the Jeep in the winter...
Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

You must have a bad gear (I hope) cuz mine has been sitting out in heat up to 122 F outside temp so far this year and no melt down yet. Good luck with the new gear.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

That handle is a POS and the heat probably had very little to do with it failing. Several board members have had this problem. I am thinking about working with a local fab guy on a solution. The only metal solution out there is much too expensive, and chrome to boot.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Okie4WD
That handle is a POS and the heat probably had very little to do with it failing. Several board members have had this problem. I am thinking about working with a local fab guy on a solution. The only metal solution out there is much too expensive, and chrome to boot.
Yes, it is a POS for sure. To add to the problem the seat never seems to stay at the desired height anyway - I always find the need to crank on that handle to adjust. It would have probably busted sooner or later but I think the heat had something to do with speeding up the process. I can see the plastic got all distorted from being in contact with hot metal. Let me know what you come up with - maybe I'll skip having ip fixed by the dealer...
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine is doing the same thing. I have been thinking about trying to rig a low speed motor onto the lift so that I have semi-powered seats! It is either that, or leave the vice grips clamped on there...
Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Probably very similar to the S-10 recliner design with a plastic handle stuck on a metal splined shaft. We had people all the time replacing the handles because they stripped out and some even broke the recliner piece as well.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed when I would slide my keester out of the driver seat, I would be pushing the lever down and everytime I would get back in, I would have to jack the seat back up. When my lever stripped out, it finally kept the adjustment. Optimisticly, a free mod!!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

This just happened to me also this past Saturday. Popped the cap off the plastic lever and the "teeth" that are supposed to fit inside the metal grooves, were all stripped. Am I correct in that this is the only problem (i.e. the plastic handle) or is there more to the failure in the inner workings/gear?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RebelJeeper
This just happened to me also this past Saturday. Popped the cap off the plastic lever and the "teeth" that are supposed to fit inside the metal grooves, were all stripped. Am I correct in that this is the only problem (i.e. the plastic handle) or is there more to the failure in the inner workings/gear?
Well, I got around to rigging a mod last weekend to fix this..

Basically, I drilled a hole from the top of the plastic lever, through the metal gear inside, and out the bottom.

Next, I installed a bolt through the hole, cranked it down nice and tight, painted the bolt head black to match the other interior hardware, and put the cap back on.

Works like a charm.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Junkie

Mine broke too.....

I thought it was just that I needed to go on a diet...

Quick Reply: Finally broke something