Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK

Old 03-09-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Wranglers hold their value greatly better

around the Washington DC area than any Toyota could ever hope to. I guess that's a function of where you live. I would be more than a little concerned about Toyota quality control and corporate honesty than I would Jeeps, watched the news recently?

I have a 2 Dr Rubicon with a soft top and have taken road trips up to 1800 miles with no complaints about comfort or noise but that is really subjective and relative. A Cadillac it is not, noise wise.

Getting in the back seat of a 2 dr? Fine for ten year olds, a bit more challenging if your passengers are older. If 4 drs are important, look at an Unlimited X.

Gas mileage? This is not a Prius. If you really want fuel economy you are shopping the wrong market segment. I get 17.7 on a daily 90 mile round trip commute in the nation's second worst traffic. Closer to 20 on the road on a trip.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is a concern, I got my unlimited X brand spanking new from the dealer for 24K with lots of expensive options (hard top, power package, limited slip rear diff, ect). I am sure you could pick up a used version of my Jeep for 4K less than I paid brand new.

Compared to the Tacoma, I can tell you that an unlimited is actually much more practical. My friend had a 4-door pick-up and he was always jealous of the practicality of my JK. He could carry the same amount of people with the same ease as I could but then his cargo space was not covered. I had room for 5 passengers and could carry all their luggage in a rainstorm as well. Then on nice days you can take the top down which you can't do with the pick-up.

The ride on the highway in an unlimited is great, it is better than my old 97 grand cherokee (a "luxury" SUV of the time). Add in the 4WD ability of the JK compared to a 2WD pick-up and there is no comparison.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cortland
4 Door JK's are too expensive. I am trying to stay below $20,000. I would like to have the power package on the JK as well. Sitting in the back of the 2 door isn't too bad, its really just getting people back there that worries me
I got my 07 Sahara 4dr the asking price was 18k I gave 12 with my trade it only had 22k miles
Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) Road trip comfort.
*** I love it! It is STIFF but not unforgiving. Rubi shocks would help immensely. No hopping or the like on bumps. Some highway attention is needed due to the Jeep being so light. You get used to it.

2.) Hauling people in the back seat, getting them into the back seat.
*** the space to get them IN there is a pain in the ass in my opinion. I just removed mine completely. Once back there, it is not too bad for 2 adults.

3.) Soft Top Noise (hard top is not an option, would only want a soft top)
*** Don't own one...

4.) Gas mileage (in comparison to 2007 Double Cab Tacoma)
*** mileage is great with the 3.21 gears. I got 18-19 city and 22 highway shifting at 2k with stock 32's on my 6 speed.

I would never give up my wrangler for a tacoma IMO. However, I think you would be more happy with a four door JK. My dad has one and back seat room is immense. Cargo with the seats up is about the same as mine WITHOUT the seat in. Ride is smoother due to the longer wheelbase. My dad's rubi gets about 17 city and 20 highway.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

But Our Wranglers wont survive a fall like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gfTNk8K6D0
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGAX
But Our Wranglers wont survive a fall like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gfTNk8K6D0
Neither did that one.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
1.) I love it! It is STIFF but not unforgiving.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cortland
I need to purchase myself a new vehicle ASAP and I am trying to decide between a 2008 2 Door Wrangler X (4wd but 2 doors) and a 2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (2wd but 4 doors)

The few things I am concerned with about purchasing a 2 Door JK are:

1.) Road trip comfort.
2.) Hauling people in the back seat, getting them into the back seat.
3.) Soft Top Noise (hard top is not an option, would only want a soft top)
4.) Gas mileage (in comparison to 2007 Double Cab Tacoma)

Would you guys mind helping me ease my concerns or share with me how you deal with some of the above issues? 4 Door Wrangler is not an option (cant afford one)

Would any of you trade in your 2 door wranglers for a 4 door tacoma?
I have a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon -

#1 - Road trip comfort - no issues - rides fine for me
#2 - No issues hauling people
#3 - I have the dual top package - when I do put the soft top on the noise is not an issue - have no problems there
#4 - I get on average 18 mpg's - sometimes better sometimes worse depends on my foot for that day. I don't know what a Tacoma gets.

Only issue I have is Chrysler Customer Service - my experience was not good with them - that is my opinion - I am not speaking for anyone else on this forum. I had some issues early on with my Hardtop and a few other things, took many emails and phone calls to get them to fix the issues - shouldn't be that way. I owned a Toyota FJ40 and a Toyota pickup - both were really good vehicles and I enjoyed owning them. I think that you need to test drive both a Jeep JK and a Tacoma to get an idea of what suits you best. We can tell you what we like but I think it comes down to what you really want. Good luck in your vehicle search.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my experience. I have an '08 2 door

1) Ride comfort: on stock suspension was perfectly comfortable. GF and I also took a trip to Tenessee from Wisconsin and neither of us had any complaint.

2) Gas milage: Mixed city/hwy I'm getting about 17mpg with MOST of the moods in my signature. I don't have the plugs, plug wires or exhaust installed yet and I'm running my stock tires for the winter. Oh that's 17 mpg in winter. It would be about 18-19 in the summer. On a trip to Tenessee (bone stock) I was getting about 22-23 hwy.

3) Resale: Wrangler Always has one of the highest resale values on the market. Makes for an affordable lease as well.

4) Reliability: I have had 3 complaints a) My security electronics failed once preventing it from starting. Dealer replaced part, no problem since. b) My top leaks some times even though the TSB was done to repair it. It's not a big deal though. C) I don't like something about the clutch but everyone says it's fine so it must be me.

5) Backseat, very had to get in and out of and best avoided by non-children. Not too bad once you are there though for short trips. I'm sure 4 dr is more comfortable.

It comes down to either you like the trade offs with Wranger for what it is and isn't (a car/cushy truck) or you don't. Those that do, Love and Respect It, those that don't sell theirs pretty quick and complain to anyone that will listen. I have to say i've been in some sub 20K new cars though and my Sahara feels like a caddy in comparison.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 03-09-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Under 20 for a 2008 with power equip will be a tough one. 2007 yes.

Entry to the back sucks. Worse than a TJ. Once in the back there is more room than a TJ. Go figure.

MPG ...If you drive smart you can see a little over 20 .

2007 models with a 6pd had a 4.10 gear option in the X models....it was a $50 add in or came standard with a factory tow package. Std gear was 3.21

2008 and newer non rubicon have a 3.73 or 3.21.

Depending on what you want to do with your Jeep the gear ratio could be a crucial decision. Here in PA we have so many hills that a 4.10 is so much better to drive than a 3.21

Quick Reply: A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK