Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK

Old 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my

I own a 07 2 door jeep and a 05 4 door v8 4x4 tundra.

The jeep. I love it, had some minor issues with the top but the dealer took care of it. I get 20MPG avg. There is almost zero wind noise. I get looks where ever I go, I can take it anywhere and do anything I want to it. Its hard to get in the back, but i dont sit in the back so I don't care. I drive it all the time.

The truck, I get about 15mpg. no one looks at you, waves or anything, its just another truck on the road. I have had zero issues in over 50k miles. It can't turn worth a damn(I have to do a 3-point turn to get into parking spots). Since I bought the jeep I only use the truck when I need to move a ton of crap.

In short get the jeep, if you really want a 4 door, shop around, you can find one in 4x4 with a 6 speed for right around 20K if no less
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

You know what...you are right. I had a TJ that I sold for all those exact reasons. The gas milage, the noise, the bumpy ride....all if it. So I sold it for WELL more than I ever imagined I would and bought a fast little fully loaded sport car..... Two years later I find myself back at a jeep dealership trading in my fancy car and driving off in a JK. It sounds crazy but that bumpy ride is gonna get a hold of you. There is nothing like it in the world. I really really missed my jeep and still regret selling it. Your gonna have to pry this one out of my hands.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

jeep and thats all i got to say.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you luck Cortland. You're naturally torn as to which vehicle to purchase. As for "opinions" on the two you will get one opinion from a Jeep Lover and another from a Tacoma Driver. Did you catch that?. I doubt you would find a stronger following of a vehicle than a Jeep wrangler so you will be hard pushed to get a wrangler owner to advise you to buy the Toyota. Good luck with your choice!

Oh yeah, you wanted an opinion. My personal opinion.... well, it doesn't really matter but I love my Jeep and wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2door soft-top.

1.) I drive about 45 minute to an hour everyday, all highway. It's comfortable enough for me and I haven't had any complaints from my friends when we went to Galveston.

2.) I will say that getting people in the back is a little sucky, especially if the top is on, but not HORRIBLE enough for me to switch to a 4door. If the top is down, then they can just step on the tire and hop on in.

3.) This was a big issue for me when I first bought the JK, but its very quiet. I usually have my volume on 23 so i can barely hear anything anyway.

4.) My gas mileage has been around 14-16 MPG, but I have a 6-speed and I give it a lot of gas and drive fast and hard. If I was driving normal I would get around 18-20.

Extras - I love getting looks from other vehicles passing by or waiting next to me at a light. People always check out my tires and rims, I've gotten so many compliments on it. It really is the lambo/ferrari of 4x4's.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie

Well, from this perspective, remember a jeep is more than just a vehicle. It becomes an avenue to meet people you would have never had a chance to meet or make lasting memories with people from different parts of the country. There is more to life than mpg, and cool factor--although jeeps have a lot of that, too. Don't believe the fun for a few weeks statement. That is for people that don't own one!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cortland
It's funny because I have a similar thread posted on toyotanation.com and they are all saying that Jeeps are unreliable and have poor resale value. I have never heard anything like this before. 3 of my friends own Jeeps (TJ, JK 2 dr, cherokee) and never had any problems with them. I dont think resale value of the Jeep is that bad, maybe not quite as easy to sell to a private party buyer but I'm sure they hold their value because there is nothing else like it being produced.
This is old news. Newer Jeeps are a terrrific value. I've driven my JK Sahara for a year with no problems. The maintenance & repair stats are as good as most Japanese vehicles.

In the 70s, I had an FJ 40. The Jeeps then could not compare to an FJ 40. I had a bumper sticker that read "Friends don't let friends drive Jeeps". What was true then is not true now. My Wrangler JK Sahara is not as tough as my old FJ. But the FJ was basically a tractor. It was the ultimate off road animal, a position now held by the Jeep Rubicon. Nothing else 'box stock' even comes close. And when you modify them (as is infinitely do-able) you can make do almost anything.

As for resale, I could sell my 09 JK (on the road for over a year now) for more than I paid. Check the books and magazines, do your research. You'll find that your Toyota sources aren't backed up by anything other than what they've heard and what they'd like to be true.

JeepGeezer

Last edited by JeepGeezer; 03-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some answers from someone with a 2dr.

1.) Road trip comfort.
I have a 3.5" lift with 35's, road trips are great, except for the gas usage.

2.) Hauling people in the back seat, getting them into the back seat.
Hard but once in comfortable im told (ive since removed my back seat perm.)

3.) Soft Top Noise (hard top is not an option, would only want a soft top)
Not as loud as the old ones MUCH louder than a hard top (which i have)

4.) Gas mileage (in comparison to 2007 Double Cab Tacoma)
13-165 mpg
Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cortland
I need to purchase myself a new vehicle ASAP and I am trying to decide between a 2008 2 Door Wrangler X (4wd but 2 doors) and a 2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (2wd but 4 doors)

The few things I am concerned with about purchasing a 2 Door JK are:

1.) Road trip comfort.
2.) Hauling people in the back seat, getting them into the back seat.
3.) Soft Top Noise (hard top is not an option, would only want a soft top)
4.) Gas mileage (in comparison to 2007 Double Cab Tacoma)

Would you guys mind helping me ease my concerns or share with me how you deal with some of the above issues? 4 Door Wrangler is not an option (cant afford one)

Would any of you trade in your 2 door wranglers for a 4 door tacoma?
Some answers from someone with a 4 dr and a Tacoma Quad Cab in the household:

1. The longer wheel base of the 4dr makes it a long more comfortable on long trips than the 2 door
2. Space in the back seat and cargo area of a 4dr is completely usable and a less dramatic change than the 2 dr
3. The fun factor of the JK is so much higher than the Taco that soft top noise will not be a factor.
4. The 4 dr JK with 35" tires gets ~16 MPG compared to ~19 MPG driven the same way.

Unless you are always traveling by yourself or mostly off road the 4 dr is a much more versatile Jeep and you will adapt a lot easier even if you have to buy a used one.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spinlock
Some answers from someone with a 4 dr and a Tacoma Quad Cab in the household:

1. The longer wheel base of the 4dr makes it a long more comfortable on long trips than the 2 door
2. Space in the back seat and cargo area of a 4dr is completely usable and a less dramatic change than the 2 dr
3. The fun factor of the JK is so much higher than the Taco that soft top noise will not be a factor.
4. The 4 dr JK with 35" tires gets ~16 MPG compared to ~19 MPG driven the same way.

Unless you are always traveling by yourself or mostly off road the 4 dr is a much more versatile Jeep and you will adapt a lot easier even if you have to buy a used one.
Which vehicle to you prefer? Wrangler or Tacoma? What if it was between a 2 dr JK and a Double Cab Tacoma?

Quick Reply: A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK