Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK

Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taco Owner 1
"Yeah Wranglers are fun.....for a couple of weeks, and then wear thin as a daily driver. I would get tired of being thrashed around in it very quickly. No versatility of use either. But that's just me, and you asked for an opinion."

Taco Owner 2
"+1
I'd add to that they're maintenance nightmares and guzzle gas. My buddy has a Wrangler and can't 4-wheel much more than half a day before heading back into town to gas up (or fill from Gerry cans). 11 MPG on the highway at 65 MPH just to get to the desert, forget that!"

Haha this is a battle. But the gas mileage and maintenance comments do scare me a bit. Im not saying they are true but I have no experience with a Wrangler, so lets get your side of the story Wrangler owners
Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

I posted this thread 15 minutes after I posted the one on Toyotanation.com and I already have more responses on this thread!

Thanks Everyone
Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

2007 2-door X. ZERO problems. I knew going in that gas mileage was going to be low, but I have a short commute so don't care. Don't plan on selling it ever, so don't care what the resale value is.

It's fun as hell, and the (Freedom) hard top is awesome. It doesn't rain much here, so I have the 2 small panels off most the time.

But, if you are going to be hauling more than 2 people around, get the 4 door or something else because getting back there is a PITA and storage is a problem.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
kik
JK Freak

I don't think that anyone in this forum would tell you to purchase the Toyota and I would definately NOT trade my 2dr Rubi for a Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Hummer, etc., etc., etc. With that said, I understand your concerns. Hope your choice is the Wrangler.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cortland
Taco Owner 1
"Yeah Wranglers are fun.....for a couple of weeks, and then wear thin as a daily driver. I would get tired of being thrashed around in it very quickly. No versatility of use either. But that's just me, and you asked for an opinion."

Taco Owner 2
"+1
I'd add to that they're maintenance nightmares and guzzle gas. My buddy has a Wrangler and can't 4-wheel much more than half a day before heading back into town to gas up (or fill from Gerry cans). 11 MPG on the highway at 65 MPH just to get to the desert, forget that!"

Haha this is a battle. But the gas mileage and maintenance comments do scare me a bit. Im not saying they are true but I have no experience with a Wrangler, so lets get your side of the story Wrangler owners
I understand you are worried about fuel economy, and I do have to say that I have a buddy of mine who has a V6 2wd tacoma double cab and he gets 17 mpg. My JK gets 18 mpg city 22 hwy and I sometimes drive like a madman, so they both are about the same fuel economy.

I have about 12000 miles on my JK, and although it is completely stock, I have had no problems whatsoever with it yet *knock on wood* .

Road trip comfort: I'll have to give that to the tacomas, but its nothing an OME lift kit can't fix . And besides, I didn't buy my JK for comfort, but for capability and a crapload more fun than in a tacoma

Hauling people: Seeing that you live in Arizona, I'd just keep the top down, allowing your passengers to hop right in. And I do say it is fun jumping into a 2door JK, but that's just me being a kid. And you could always buy a cargo net that just covers the hood portion of your JK if you are going on a roadtrip.

Just my really longg

Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The few things I am concerned with about purchasing a 2 Door JK are:

1.) Road trip comfort.
2.) Hauling people in the back seat, getting them into the back seat.
3.) Soft Top Noise (hard top is not an option, would only want a soft top)
4.) Gas mileage (in comparison to 2007 Double Cab Tacoma)

Would any of you trade in your 2 door wranglers for a 4 door tacoma?

1. Comfort in a JK is better than previous jeeps. It's not a car though. I find my 2 door JK pretty comfortable, though the ride is bumpy.

2. Getting in and out of the back seat isn't terribly easy. Personally I like that because my friends often drive to lunch due to this fact. I couldn't see myself ever getting a 4 door unless I had a controlling wife who made me do it and didn't have the nuts to stand up for myself, but that's just my own opinion.

3. You won't hear the noise when the top is down. If you want a car, don't get a jeep. Jeeps are noisy, well at least they can be. I have a hard top on mine and it's a lot quieter than my previous jeeps. Haven't driven with the soft top yet so can't comment on that one.

4. I dunno, I can get 23 mpg on the highway if I drive smart, but in town it's not too great. Much better mpg than my truck.

No way in hell I'd trade my jeep for a fkn toyota. ever. You'd have to literally take it from me by force. There are things I don't like about the JK, but that's true with every new model till I get used to them, and there are lots of things I love about it. I can't picture life without a jeep. Top down in summer, 4wd in the snow or mud, the one vehicle on the road nearly EVERYBODY recognizes and loves... they never made a more perfect car.

I have people all the time come up to me (at least in my previous jeeps) and ask about my jeep, then proceed to talk about when they used to have one, and how much they miss it. I wonder how often that happens to people who drive toyotas.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Tacoma is a nice truck, but only in 4wd. My buddy has one. But, if your a jeep guy, you are a jeep guy. End of story. Should not even be a question. Personal feeling.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Taco Owner 1

Taco Owner 2
"+1

Here's my completely un-biased opinion, hopefully it helps you make a decision. I love Toyota Tacoma's, I think they're awesome trucks and when I was in the market to buy my JK my other option was buying a top of the line fully loaded Tacoma 4x4 Access cab V6 with the TRD offroad package. If gas mileage and maintenance costs are big concerns for you, get a 4 cylinder 2wd tacoma they get about 20 city and 26 hwy but they are absolutely gutless and im not sure if you can buy a 4 cylinder that has 4 doors. A 6 cylinder 2wd tacoma with a 5 speed auto gets about 17 city - 21 hwy, choose another tranny option or get one of the 4wd models and those numbers get lower. I get about 17 - 18 mpg with my 4 door Sahara and thats a combination of city/hwy driving, it gets better when you drive all highway, best I ever got was 23.5 mpg on a 2 day 6000 km roadtrip and I had the pedal to the floor the whole time. It doesnt take much to get bad fuel mileage like 11 mpg with a Wrangler if you add alot of freaking gear like big bumpers, winch, 35's, big lift, heavier wheels etc, but in stock form the Wrangler and Tacoma are almost neck and neck. Maintenance costs are the same on a Wrangler as any other 4wd vehicle, are they more expensive than a 2wd tacoma? Yeah they are theres no doubt, but its definitley not enough to sway you away from buying a Wrangler. The 07 - current model wranglers are a much nicer ride than the older models, your teeth dont chatter with every bump you hit and you dont eat a bottle of advil a week to deal with headaches. Guys on a Toyota forum typically shit on us jeep owners and we typically shit on Toyota owners, its just how it is for whatever reason.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am getting about 15 mpg around town, but I'm lifted a bit and running 35's. Before that I was averaging 18-20 depending how I was driving. I'd say if you are going to have people in the jeep on a regular basis, look for a 4 door. I would think you could find a 2007 for under 20k now as I have a sahara and it's KBB is around 23k or so. Just look for a x model
Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

If you even have to ask this question then you will probably be happier with the Toyota. If you are concerned about access, gas, mileage, and routine maintenance the jeep isn't for you. It's a jeep thing you won't understand until/unless you are a jeep person.

Quick Reply: A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK