Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK

Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK

I need to purchase myself a new vehicle ASAP and I am trying to decide between a 2008 2 Door Wrangler X (4wd but 2 doors) and a 2007 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (2wd but 4 doors)

The few things I am concerned with about purchasing a 2 Door JK are:

1.) Road trip comfort.
2.) Hauling people in the back seat, getting them into the back seat.
3.) Soft Top Noise (hard top is not an option, would only want a soft top)
4.) Gas mileage (in comparison to 2007 Double Cab Tacoma)

Would you guys mind helping me ease my concerns or share with me how you deal with some of the above issues? 4 Door Wrangler is not an option (cant afford one)

Would any of you trade in your 2 door wranglers for a 4 door tacoma?

Last edited by Cortland; 03-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

option 3: Find a good deal on a 4-door JK

In my opinion both of those options are way to big of a deal for me.

I want a 4x4

I want 4 doors.

So I bought a 4-door...its that simple

If you havent found one yet....look harder. Or look in the FOR SALE section on this website.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

to add onto my first post:

I have no issue with the soft top. In fact I feel that the hardtop is too cumbersome and is too difficult to remove/install and store.

ETA: Like you...I know what AZ summers are like....the soft top did well in the heat.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check our for sale forum for a used 4 dr. Gas mileage is less then par but the option of 4wd and convertible make it worth it. The backseat of a 2 dr is not that easy to get into as I drove one and stuck the salesman back there. The 4drs are more comfortable and ride better from the longer wheelbase. The truck will probably get better gas mileage but the JK's throttle will never stick! My $0.02
Old 03-08-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Any reason what you aren't looking at a 4 door JK if you are also looking at the 4 door Tacoma?

We took 4 people (all of us nicely large adults) roughly 8700+ miles on a road trip to Alaska and back with luggage in my 4 door JK the first summer I got it. The back seat was comfortable enough with strategic stops to stretch the legs at times, and we still had plenty of room for the luggage in the back.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Area-51
Any reason what you aren't looking at a 4 door JK if you are also looking at the 4 door Tacoma?

We took 4 people (all of us nicely large adults) roughly 8700+ miles on a road trip to Alaska and back with luggage in my 4 door JK the first summer I got it. The back seat was comfortable enough with strategic stops to stretch the legs at times, and we still had plenty of room for the luggage in the back.
4 Door JK's are too expensive. I am trying to stay below $20,000. I would like to have the power package on the JK as well. Sitting in the back of the 2 door isn't too bad, its really just getting people back there that worries me
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like the issue is money...Honestly get a $500 piece of crap car and save the extra $4000 if that is how much more it is,.

Honestly, My 4 door X cost less then the 2 door with the 24s package.

You may need to get a x unlimited with manual windows/doors. That is exactly what I did, then when I had the cash I added rubi rails, rubi wheels/tires all takeoffs for a lot less than what the dealership wanted.

Dont buy something you will regret.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

It's funny because I have a similar thread posted on toyotanation.com and they are all saying that Jeeps are unreliable and have poor resale value. I have never heard anything like this before. 3 of my friends own Jeeps (TJ, JK 2 dr, cherokee) and never had any problems with them. I dont think resale value of the Jeep is that bad, maybe not quite as easy to sell to a private party buyer but I'm sure they hold their value because there is nothing else like it being produced.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Basic13
It sounds like the issue is money...Honestly get a $500 piece of crap car and save the extra $4000 if that is how much more it is,.

Honestly, My 4 door X cost less then the 2 door with the 24s package.

You may need to get a x unlimited with manual windows/doors. That is exactly what I did, then when I had the cash I added rubi rails, rubi wheels/tires all takeoffs for a lot less than what the dealership wanted.

Dont buy something you will regret.
Money is a part of the issue and while I like the 4 door wranglers, there is something about the 2 doors that has me hooked.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Those guys are ignorant at best. Jeeps hold their value just as well, if not better then a Taco.

There is NOTHING like it out there.

Save your money, be patient. I owned a 2 door for a short while and there isnt a day that goes by that I regret trading it in for the 4-door.

Quick Reply: A Few Concerns I Have With Purchasing A JK