Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fan trouble. get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked with the dealer. I am friends with the manager and owner. Each time they bring it in for it, the High speed works. That is all that they say can be tested. After the last time i took it I did get the low speed to work. They removed the relays and checked them. After this they seemed to work for a time. he jumped the connections too. I even looked at wireing it up to a switch. I am affraid to do this as it is getting ready to go out of warrenty and dont want to buy another fan. I know it should not matter that it runs all the time but my luck it would fry.

As to the question for the computer as long as the relays stay in place the EMC does not know the fan is not running. You could even jump that. I sat and talked to the tech at the dealer. We looked at the wireing form top to bottom. You just need to un hook it at the fan its self.

As for as it sitting at idle. I only have had high. and this does nothing when the AC is on. I can sit in traffic and die, I love to have the top down but when you on black top all day you will die. Went to the beach last year and had a temp prob in the vent. You could watch and tell when the fan came on. The temp would get close to 40deg. when it was on then would go all the way to 70deg just as it turned off and higher. On open road you are fine but god forbid you get behind a tractor trailer. I can staret the jeep and let it sit 20min in the shade and it still not cool off.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you saying that the fan does NOT STAY on high when you have the ac on?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Are you saying that the fan does NOT STAY on high when you have the ac on?

Correct, an by every test that DC lays out it is still working in specs. Last time it went in it started cycling on and off which it has never done. The problem may be fixed, but i dont want it 103 again and not have decent air to cool off. Over last summer I spent many hours learning the jeep. I sat and watched the jeep with the diffrent things going on to see if i could tell what was happening. I turned on the jeep and waited till up to temp and from cold. last summer The fan would cycle 2 to 3 times in 5 min, and fan ran 20-30 sec. After last time to dealer when it was warmer it cycled 2 times as much. Which is better but I don't feel that is good enough to cool the jeep in 100 deg weather. I do not want to fry this year in hte jeep, Ill give you a new reason to call mine flame red.

when you turn on the AC the fan should run in low pretty much all the time not high till it need to cool the engine, Or says my text book from class from 5 years ago. I have many years under the hood of 4 cyl toyota cars and they have 2 fans. One is for the engine and the other is for the AC and it runs 90% of the time with the AC on. That fan is not as strong as the engine. Same context as putting a hugh fan infront of you car at idle the AC works better.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if U go start my jeep right now, its about 30degrees out and I turn the ac on the fan WILL come on high right away, it always has. Thats one way I can test the fan after I go thru a water hole to make sure its still working. I do this because I have killed 3 fans going thru water. Its also in service manual somewhere that the fan should go on high when ac is on.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is looking price wise like about $70 for the parts. I am not sure th cost for a elec fan but being mopar I say it be even more then that.

I PM'ed sport-atv and his is holding up good. He had a slight problem which is being fixed. When i get the money up to get the parts in my check. I plan to do a write up.

As to sealing my fan. I dont need to do that. I dont play in water. This does not help me any way. An for that I would get the upgraded 09 fan.

To the fan coming on in high with AC on. I am not saing that it does not come on, I am saying that it is not comein on enough to keep the jeep cool. Read above. It cycles very slow.

Quick Reply: Fan trouble. get ride of the Elec fan and replace it with the mechanical fan