Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

fan question.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question fan question.

das background:

so ive been through some decent mud and some decent water.

ive had the engine caked full of mud and had the temp bounce up to 3/4. then after making it home, i had the overheating lamp flash on.

most recently i went through some water and had the temp go up to 3/4 hot. right after the fact we looked at the fan and it was not moving. i forget the events, but it started rotating. it had some funky 'not all there' sound. started driving around and it slowly falls back to normal.

now today i was on my way home from work and in some serious traffic. road flooding down pours on top of a twenty something mile long train. i was watching my temp the entire time and it didnt budge off dead center.

my question is this... if the fan motor is not operating at full capacity, would my temp gauge have fluctuated off center at all? i would assume this to be true, so then why was the motor making the noise after the water fording?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

I've never had my temperature deviate above 1/2 capacity. WHen it's really warm and I'm stopped in traffic, that puppy will spin up and make noise loud enough to make me think I'm going through the pre-flight procedures for a Piper .

I'm guessing though, that if the ambient temperature was hot enough, and you were stuck in traffic with the gauge holding steady, then you probably have a fan doing it's job.

Then again, if it was raining, that could help with the cooling too...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
das background:

so ive been through some decent mud and some decent water.

ive had the engine caked full of mud and had the temp bounce up to 3/4. then after making it home, i had the overheating lamp flash on.

most recently i went through some water and had the temp go up to 3/4 hot. right after the fact we looked at the fan and it was not moving. i forget the events, but it started rotating. it had some funky 'not all there' sound. started driving around and it slowly falls back to normal.

now today i was on my way home from work and in some serious traffic. road flooding down pours on top of a twenty something mile long train. i was watching my temp the entire time and it didnt budge off dead center.

my question is this... if the fan motor is not operating at full capacity, would my temp gauge have fluctuated off center at all? i would assume this to be true, so then why was the motor making the noise after the water fording?
I've had almost the exact thing happen except my temp actually went all the way to the red mark that was before I washed my radiator out from the mud. But I am still running hot if I turn on the ac it will shoot up OR if I drive on the highway at all it will shoot up ot 3/4mark then I turn heat on to cool it down.

My fan is running on high, runs when the ac is on, but doesnt come on right away when I turn ac on.

Quick Reply: fan question.