Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Fallout!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fallout!

I was washing the Rubi yesterday and noticed lots of little rust colored spots all over the body. Thinking I had rust, I made a visit to the dealer and was told that it was something called "fallout" from acid rain. He then showed me a Lexus that had the same thing on it, even the plastic bumpers. Anyone else seen this?

BTW, they are going to clay bar, wax and buff it under warranty!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there alot of railways or iron factories up by where you are? Iron filings from railroads will do that quite easily. Ferrous metals in general are usually not something that floats around in the air naturally.

A few years ago my buddies 06 ram had red running dots all over his rig when he picked it up from the dealer. The dealer aknowledged it on the spot and they had traced it to the railway that origionally delivered it to the yard in NJ. It is basicly surface contamination but none the less it gives you a when you see it.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

I have it on mine as well. No idea how it got there. And most of it is stuck between the fenders and the body right in the little crease. ARGH...
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

clay bar takes care of most of it. if you use it right..
Old 05-07-2010, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem. If your jeep was transported by train, then it's rail dust. Get a clay bar kit. It worked on mine.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default brakes

it's metal from the metallic pads....you probably notice the most around the rear fender area including the flares...correct? i notice it is worse right after winter when it doesn't get frequent washings with a mit in detail. Clay bar takes care of it and it comes off easy!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Default Yep....

Funny thing is I used a clay bar to get rid of the little rust spots for the last couple of years....but it took FOREVER to get it all off.

Until I found that Simple Green takes it off very quick and easy. Think it effs up the clear coat? I just make sure I wax it with a quality wax. So far so good.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the wife an 07 black unlimited back in Oct 06. It had only been on the lot less than one week and although it looked good, you should have seen the clay bar after I got it home and did some work. Once done though it was easy to keep it nicely shined with Meguiar's 3 step. Although I have now moved to Meguiar's NXT then to Turtle Wax Ice liquid.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Damn, just another reason I'm happy to have an Orange Jeep!!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I waxed my Jeep yesterday and noticed the little tiny rust colored spots too! I tried some Mother's Cleaner Wax, which really takes some effort to chip off, but it didn't make a difference.

I had some Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner, so I gave that a try. It takes some rubbing, but it worked great and removed every spot. After I re-waxed the door, it's nice and smooth again.

The rust spots got me worried for a little while...glad they came out. I'll be buying some more of that Paint Cleaner. It worked awesome and says it is non-abrasive.