Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Factory stereo/dash removal?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory stereo/dash removal?

Anybody have a link on removing the factory stereo and/or the dash? I have an 08' Rubicon and my gf accidentally dropped something down in the hole near the windshield. I'd like to try to find it, and was wondering if there is a way to take part or all of the top of the dash out, and/or the factory stereo cuz that would probably give me enough room to find it.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use a plastic spatula (seriously) and pry gently on either side of the upper dash panel, which is the center piece directly above the radio. There's a clip on each side towards the back. Once those two clips are popped the whole thing hinges forwards towards you and pops off the top of the center dash molding. Be careful as the factory compass is screwed to the bottom of this panel and there's not a lot of slack in the lead.

If you need to remove the whole center dash piece you'll have to take off the lower dash panel as well, the one directly in front of the gear shift. Again, using a plastic spatula (so as not to scratch the dash) slide it above the top of the lower dash panel, just below the last "stair step" on the dash. There's two clips at the top of the lower dash panel. They should pop out with a small amount of force. Once those are released the whole panel then falls forwards, again towards you. Simply lift it out of the way.

This now leaves the top two and bottom two retention bolts exposed. You can remove them with a 6mm socket if I remember correctly. Once all four screws are removed you can remove the center dash bezel which is one giant piece. There are two clips, one each side, per "stair" of the dash. I again used a plastic spatula as a pry bar to pop them free by sliding it down either side of the bezel between the bezel and the lighter grey dash moldings. The whole thing will pop free but will still be connected via several wires to the dash (the HVAC controls, the 12v accessory jacks, and the power window controls if you have them). Be very careful as again there's not much slack and the lighter dash molding pieces appear to be made of butter and are very easy to scratch with the metal clips used to retain the dash bezel.

Overall, unless ABSOLUTELY NESSICARY, I'd avoid trying to remove the entire center dash bezel. It's a pain, nerve racking, the metal clips tend to fall off their plastic studs, and you WILL scratch the dash. It's almost unavoidable. I've had mine off about a half dozen times now.

If my directions are unclear, please let me know and I'll try to clear them up for you.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the removal of the center dash bezel... real pain...

If this is not something expensive I'll forget about it... maybe replace it with some flowers?

best of luck
Old 09-27-2009, 01:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The instructions posted by Skippman are acurate. If you want pictures go to the mopar accessories website for the JK and find one of the Radios like the RER and download the installation instructions. I believe Quadratec also posts the MOPAR installations instructions on their site.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the replies, I'll have to think about whether its worth going through all the trouble.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to pull my factory radio out when I installed the mic on the MyGig. I thought it was really easy. It took me like ten minutes and I didn't even break or scratch anything.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

I just took my dash apart maybe an hour ago. My hands were full getting in the jeep, wasn't paying attention and dropped a lighter and a few $20 bills on the dash, when I went to grab it I realized it fell into the hole of no return. I figured a lighter and cash plus heat from vents wasnt a good combo lol. Anyway, start from the bottom and move up, the panels come off super easy. Make sure you have a 7mm socket and small ratchet if you need to get behind the cluster.

Last edited by Adam3612; 09-28-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory stereo/dash removal?