Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

extending service contract?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extending service contract?

i'm about to cross the 36,000 mile threshold on my jeep--

i got an offer in the mail from jeep for an extended service plan.

$2210.00 for lifetime coverage w/100 dollar deductible-they claim that to be everything except for routine maintenance..

they also offered 1400 bucks for a 4 year extension..

i plan on keeping my jeep for a long time..

thoughts?
steve
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
i'm about to cross the 36,000 mile threshold on my jeep--

i got an offer in the mail from jeep for an extended service plan.

$2210.00 for lifetime coverage w/100 dollar deductible-they claim that to be everything except for routine maintenance..

they also offered 1400 bucks for a 4 year extension..

i plan on keeping my jeep for a long time..

thoughts?
steve
I personally bought an extended to 80k for $1300. Due to the overhead on extended warranties ive heard you have some bargaining room. Ive heard of people on the forums here getting a lifetime B2B for $1600...

Personally, i think you would be better off going to the dealership or a dealership and see what they can offer you warranty wise...just dont tell them you got that offer.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Remember, the dealer is selling probably the same extended warranty, they get paid a commission, the more they upsale to "MSRP", the more they get.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Think about the cost. To cover the 2210 you would need 4 things to go wrong that would normally cost $500 and 1 thing that cost $210. Since that was 5 repairs you paid another $500. The two biggest things, your trans and your engine are covered under the lifetime warranty. Personally I would pass.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I turned down my offer. I've got the bare bones model, standard tranny and do almost all of my vehicle repairs myself. I also envision keeping the Jeep forever. But I'd rather use that cash now how I see fit, instead of tying it up in an extended coverage plan.

My "plan" is that when things break, I'll get the chance to upgrade for better parts, instead of replacement OEM. But plans are meant to be broken right ?

I'd rather set that 2210 aside/invest and gain some interest and still have it as an emergency Jeep fund.

But whatever makes you sleep well at night is what you should do. If you want the security of extended coverage and have the cash, buy it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

go to chryslerwarrantys.com for best prices.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default It's an insurance policy

They are betting that you pay far more ffor the policy than they would have to pay out. You really need to closely examine every line of the small print (every policy is different) and know that the cost is very very negotiable.

Personally, if I believed at purchase time that I would need an extended repair policy I would buy a different vehicle. Same applies to Best Buy and Sears, both of whom make a lot of profit hawking these "estended service" policies.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Go back to your dealer, that can deal on the price. The mailer you received sounds like it came from the factory, and the can only sell for MSRP. The dealers are free to set their own price. Just make sure the it is a genunie Chrysler Service Contract, also keep in mind that CSC will pay for a car rental every time you go in for any service. So each time you go in for a oil change or warranty work, you get a car rental paid for.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Do a search for chrysler service plans. Some dealerships sell them online and get volume discounts. My local dealer wanted about $2,200. I found another dealership in the state selling online for $1,575 and my local dealer matched it to keep the business. I bought before 12,000 miles, prices might go up a little based on mileage, but likely your dealer would match.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can buy from any dealer anywhere. There is a huge markup, as mentioned.

I offered my dealer $100 over his cost for a 7.84K B2B. His cost was one-half of what the starting price was.

of course that was back on the last day of November, 2008, when the world was collapsing...

Quick Reply: extending service contract?