Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Extended Warranty Question

Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question

Well my wife and I just pulled the trigger on a 2009 2dr Rubicon. We won't take delivery till sometime next week. Anyway, they offered me a 7yr/70,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with $100 deductible for $1,525. I wanted to get a professional opinion about this price and the need for the warranty on top of the factory lifetime powertrain warranty, that is why I am posting this question. So, do you guys recommend a bumper to bumper warranty or is the powertrain warranty sufficient and if you do recommend it, is that a good price or is it high? Also, how is Jeep about covering things under there lifetime powertrain warranty?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Super Freak

For $1675 I got the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty, for only 70k miles of 7 years does not sound like such a good deal.

Is the lifetime done.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

The vehicle is a 2009 2dr Rubicon with dual tops, power convience & 6 disc CD radio with manual transmission. The price I got was $26,792 plus tax and documentation fees. They also gave me $14,000 for my 2007 Toyota Matrix with I paid $15,500 for. I also got 0% for 48 months. I refused the warranty for now. I'll shop around within the first 3yrs or 36,000 miles and see if I can get a better deal. If you guys know of dealers that sell these warranties at discount let me know.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Extended warranties are cash cows for all manufactures. You will be ahead if you put that money in a savings account. You'll will be just as warm and protected as the warranty.
This advice is coming from a 62 year old Life Cycle Cost Anaylist.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

If that price they gave you for the warranty was for the lifetime bumper to bumper and you plan to keep the jeep for a long time it is a good deal with all the electronics on these jeeps.

Don A Vee jeep in California was the dealer selling them at that cheap price last year I think they were a sponsoring vendor back then. Thats how i negotiated my price as it was $75 over the dealer price. I did not purchase at the final deal time like you. But instead purchased it from my servicing dealer (different from whom I bought it from long story). I basically told him that I would buy the extended from him if he matched the price for lifetime. Thats how I learned the $75 above cost and he said thats a great deal and you should take it . I responded I am willing to purchas it right now if he matches the price because he will do all the work and didnt he want the $75 in profit. He looked at me and said your are right and sold it to me for the cheap price. Any Jeep dealer can sell the bumper to bumper. So if the lifetime is still available I think it is a good deal for 7/70 I would walk as you have the base powertrain lifetime anyway.

By the way I also got the lifttime for my wifes avenger this summer for the same price.

One MyGig or elecronic throttle body and sensors will pay for this in the long run. All our vehicles get a minimum of 150k miles or 10 plus years of service before I think of letting them go. But again I got the lifetime and maybe its not around anymore which make me lucky I guess.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goldtr8
For $1675 I got the bumper to bumper lifetime warranty, for only 70k miles of 7 years does not sound like such a good deal.

Is the lifetime done.
I got the lifetime too. I figure there's so much computerized on this thing that I can't fix or don't want to mess with if it breaks.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

My dealer threw in the 5yr/60k bumper to bumper for free...but I was not going to buy anything additional if they had not...In 5 yrs ill be ready for a ney Jeep

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Question