Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Extended warranty purchase

Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tikitorch
... I've had extended warranties on a car, a truck, and a Cherokee and never used them because a) anything that breaks is never covered and b) it was less than the deductible to get fixed. ....
You've just succinctly described why extended warranties are almost always a bad deal on almost every product. Add on top of that the hassles of mod's and voided "warranty" provisions (I quote that because it's not really a warranty, it's a maintenance contract), and you have plenty of reason to reject any additional coverage. If you're worried about an expensive repair, put the $3100 in a money market account and leave it there until you need it. Do this for every product you think you might need an extended warranty for and you'll have more than enough money to pay for the occasional repair (unless you have horribly bad luck).
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two brothers in the car business. The advice given to me, skip it. To anyone else...they push as hard as they can. One is a finance manager - this is how he makes the extra bank, he has to get so many a month.

I'm sure it may give you tremendous peace of mind but I would rather keep the money in the bank than roll that in to a loan.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

I bought my extended warranty because it lowered my monthly payments.

I financed the Jeep for 72 months, but with just a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty the bank wanted to charge a little higher interest. However, if you extend your warranty to at leasts as long as your loan they come down on the interest as they view you as less likely to default.

In my case an extra $1,000 for a 72month, 72,000 mile warranty reduced my interest rate enough to lower my monthly payment by a couple of bucks. Not much, but it was better than not and if something (like my radio) does die I can have it replaced/repair for only my $100 deductible.

Seems like a great deal to mr. I'm all about paying less and getting more
Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with a couple of previous posts.. try and work a better deal. Since I knew the salesman when I bought my '11 JKU last month the finance manager came down quite a bit on the ext warranty without me having to haggle. They are usually 3000-3500 and he was going to give me 6yr/100k for $1650, no deductible, free rental car. I took it then decided why am i paying for double warranty right now with the factory warranty and canceled it. He gave me a little bit of a hard time about cancelling cause it dings them (not that he told me it dings them.. but i know it does). Im gonna refinance in 2 yrs anyways and would rather add it on then.. if I decide I want it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you CANNOT do any kind of mechanical repairs- then consider the warranty. If you CAN do basic mechanical work- then DON'T BUY THE OVERPRICED CONTRACT.....
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder how many people that do not buy the extended warranty do not also buy health or life insurance?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We bought an extended warranty for my wife's Patriot. Every time we bring it in, we end up paying out of pocket for all of the repairs because they tell us there is 150$ deductible for warranty work.

We were not aware of the deductible when we purchased the warranty.

We are not happy with the fake jeep warranty.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goofas7070
I wonder how many people that do not buy the extended warranty do not also buy health or life insurance?
That is a weird comment. I don't think the two are at all related.

When you buy a car warranty, you generally expect to use it for some sort of repairs.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by horrocks007
That is a weird comment. I don't think the two are at all related.

When you buy a car warranty, you generally expect to use it for some sort of repairs.
I think that was the point.

People refuse to buy something they know they'll need, but have no problem buying something they hope they never need.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP has an 07, I suspect they have lifetime powertrain? If so, I could so foregoing the warranty. I had an extended warranty on my 95 Neon and it paid for my head gasket in Alaska, as a young Soldier that saved me forking out $800 on the spot, just the deductible, so I had it pay off.

Have one on my wife's 05 Prius, we got it since the car was such a new concept on the market and didn't want to replace hybrid parts on a car I was still making payments on. It covered 2 unique water pump replacements, which have since become recall items, but I didn't have to pay a cent then when the problems arose prior.

I have an extended on my 09 JKU even knwoing I was getting the Powertrain warranty. I haven't reached my 3yr/36mo yet, but I suspect being a Chrysler product, I'll cash in on the extended eventually.
Got me 6 free oil changes somehow too

Quick Reply: Extended warranty purchase