Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Extended warranty purchase

Old 04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty purchase

Ok - I've searched and not seen this discussed already...
Long story short is my 2007 JK unlimited current extended warranty expires in a few months. Best option available now, all things considered, is the 'maximum care' with a $100 deductible for $3100 for lifetime.
The $3,000 question is - is it worth it?
I've had extended warranties on a car, a truck, and a Cherokee and never used them because a) anything that breaks is never covered and b) it was less than the deductible to get fixed.
So, I am asking for advice on the dilemma. If I get the warranty by Oct I will have it for the life of the Jeep, if I don't it is gone forever ( past four years old). But what could break in the next few years to justify three grand now? If the a/c went out, ok it is covered, but little things like my power port breaking are not covered or are below the deductible.
Need your thoughts please.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3100 , going to the dealer for a repair, plus $100 deductible......plus taxes.......no into worth it. A computer replacement $2000. Tranny , how much? Why pay if they never break on you.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Save your money not really worth it. I bought one of those year's a go and it was a complete wast of money.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bought my 11 JKU a couple of months ago and negotiated the extended warranty. 7 years/100k miles for $1600 and included all fluids service agreement for term of warranty.

Figure a transmission, transfer case or differential will more than cover the cost. Not to mention oil and transmission fluid changes. Try negotiating a better deal.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tikitorch
So, I am asking for advice on the dilemma. If I get the warranty by Oct I will have it for the life of the Jeep, if I don't it is gone forever ( past four years old). But what could break in the next few years to justify three grand now? If the a/c went out, ok it is covered, but little things like my power port breaking are not covered or are below the deductible.
Need your thoughts please.
I originally bought one on my 2011 and decided i didnt' want it anymore... so i (returned it) bc within the next 1-2 yrs i will void most of the warranty's anyways. if you keep is bone stock with minor upgrades then id say go for it. but if you decide you want to play and have fun with it you can either cancel it and get a prorated price. or just void it after so long anways.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
JK Freak

I absolutely disagree with some of the previous posts. I would ask for a further break on the price, but regardless it is worth it if you are going to keep your vehicle. Here is a list of what has been done for me under this warranty.

1 - RADIO 600
4 - COMPUTERS 2K A PIECE
1 - WIRING HARNESS - 1K
1 - GAS TANK - ?
1 - FUEL PUMP/FILTER - ?
1 - STARTER - 450
1 - ENTIRE NEW REAR END ASSEMBLY - 3500
1 - LEFT SIDE HEADS - ?
1 - WINDOW SWITCHES IN REAR - ?
1 - TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR - 500?
1 - CLOCK SPRING - 375-500
2 - O2 SENSORS - ?

I KNOW THERE IS MORE, BUT WITHOUT MY PAPERWORK I CAN'T REMEMBER. MY CASE IS EXTREME, BUT IF YOU HAVE 2 OR THREE OF THESE PROBLEMS THE WARRANTY WILL PAY FOR ITSELF. BY THE WAY IF I EVER SELL MY JEEP I WILL GET A HELL OF A LOT MORE FOR IT BECAUSE I CAN TRANSFER THE WARRANTY 1 TIME!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Newbie

Sheesh, I could only wish for this kinda deal (lifetime). I just received a similar letter from Jeep (Aus) and they're wanting $2,500 (from memory) for an extension of only 2yrs!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

After working for a dealer, I know how quickly replacement parts can add up. So, I purchased my extended warranty last night.

$2400 got me up to 85K miles and 8 years, bumper to bumper, $0 deductible, and free rental cars and roadside assistance. Really didn't think it was too bad of a deal.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Waste of money

Extended warranties are nothing but a waste of your hard earned money and are just cash cows for whoever sells them. Also, don't plan on doing any mods cause the dealer will use them as an excuse to deny you your warranty.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can see it both ways. However, I don't plan on heavily modding my Jeep. And, I'm really not skilled in the way of doing a lot of my own repairs (guess I'm not a true Jeep owner, right?).

However, the dealer I bought the warranty from (and the JK) is one of the most well known Jeep dealers around, and easily works with modded Jeeps. I've never heard of them turning away modded Jeeps for warranty work, and on any given day, there's usually at least one lifted Wrangler in the stalls.

Guess it's just all in who you work with. A little initial research will give you an idea of who will and who won't.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty purchase