Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

is exhaust manifold considered an emissionscontrol part?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is exhaust manifold considered an emissionscontrol part?

And if yes, what is the warranty on them? My jeep has no extended warranty and I don't have the lifetime, but isn't there some kind of federal warranty on emission parts?

Took jeep in for exhaust leak, found broken exhaust manifold bolt in head. starting to run into some serious coin and may need new head to repair it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

i found it. its an EPA warranty for 8 years or 80K miles.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I just read the emissions warranty for the 2008 Wrangler.

The cats and PCM are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.
For the JKs that comply with the California emissions rules (8 years/100,000 miles), the intake manifold is also covered.

The exhaust manifolds only appear in the 3 year/36,000 mile section of the emissions warranty.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I just read the emissions warranty for the 2008 Wrangler. The cats and PCM are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. For the JKs that comply with the California emissions rules (8 years/100,000 miles), the intake manifold is also covered. The exhaust manifolds only appear in the 3 year/36,000 mile section of the emissions warranty.
Thanks. I think this one is on me. Im at 91000 miles. Due to the location of the broken bolt they are unable to drill it out with the head on the engine. So they pulled the head and will try to salvage it. otherwise will replace the head. This is the 3rd time the jeep has been in the shop this year. Repair bills totaling almost $4k YTD. I probably should replace it but I got a kid in college so I would like to get 3 more years out of it. such is life. in the grand scheme these problems are small
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jeep

you're taking it well... I'd have seen if they'd have taken it, unfixed, in trade for a 2012+ with the newer 3.6

if the dealer is only paying the shop guys $15/hr, but charging you $75, they don't take a huge hit buying a 'broken' vehicle if it means they can move a newer one...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by HillCountry_Cowboy
And if yes, what is the warranty on them? My jeep has no extended warranty and I don't have the lifetime, but isn't there some kind of federal warranty on emission parts?

Took jeep in for exhaust leak, found broken exhaust manifold bolt in head. starting to run into some serious coin and may need new head to repair it.
I had a broken one on mine a while back--last one back on the driver's side. Thought I'd never get it out, but fortunately I do have a right angle drill and screw machine bits (very short) and was able to get in and use lots of patience to drill and Easy-Out it. The only one I could see that might not be possible with is the rear passenger side--and not sure it might not be doable with that. I hope that is the one that you broke, because otherwise they aren't trying very hard.

Quick Reply: is exhaust manifold considered an emissionscontrol part?