Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Excessive oil consumption?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive oil consumption?

So got my oil changed today and for the 3rd time in a row was down 1 quart. We've checked for leaks and found none. So basically I'm burning 1 quart of oil between oil changes (roughly 3,000 miles). Anybody else experience this? I only have 20k miles so this started around the 11k mark. I've been using 5w20. Grease monkey suggested 5w30 this time around to see if it will help. I've owned old cars that burn oil but fins it unacceptable that I'm burning 1 quart with such low miles. Now I'm going to have to check my oil every few weeks and make sure it's topped off.

Toughts?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Just had the same problem today
Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camblynn
Just had the same problem today
How many miles on your rig? The only engine mod per se I have is a drop in k&n and a superchips with 91 tune. I know I drive hard but dang...
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

CHECK THAT K&N FILTER!!!! I have had so many bad bad problems with those types of filters off-road, if it is plugged up, cleaned wrong, or "D" what ever reason, the valve cover vent hose will become the air intake and the engine will suck the air/oil out of the crankcase because it is starving for air from the air filter, especially at high rpms!!! Put the paper filter back in and see if the problem goes away.... If not I have seen personally 7 dusted engines from K&N filters, no rings left, engines all bad just because those filters dont have the micron rating for dirty environment.
Awesome filters for air flow, awesome on the street/strip, but the back road dust, they only stop the bugs... the dust eats the pistons rings out.....

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption?