Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is it ever too late to go in for a recall?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ever too late to go in for a recall?

Let's just say I got my notice in the mail around the holiday's last year, and after misplacing the notice it just slipped my mind.

Fast forward a few months later and I still haven't gotten it done. I want to bring it in but, I'm afraid the dealer will give me a hard time for not having come in sooner (and to some mechanics, being female is a reason in itself to give me a hard time).

Also, since you're reading this. I'm also a bit concerned about the horror stories I've read where people bring their Jeeps in for warranty/recall work, and they end up leaving with it being worse. Has anyone had issues like this related to the brake recall? I'm especially concerned where haven't had any issues with what is described in the recall.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

You are fine as far as time goes. I just took mine in last week for the recall you are talking about. Also, I have never had any trouble with the dealer I do business with. I am usually in and out within an hour and the work has been good so far.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No. I worked for GM all through the late eighties and early ninties. They had a recall on ball joints for the (at the time) new body style Chevy trucks from the initial year (1988) through around Hell, I can't remember '92 or '93...maybe even later. The recall stated no age or mileage lmiits. Having worked for all the rest of the big three, I can tell you recalls are the same industry wide. A recall is only issued when a saftey standard is at risk. They WILL fix it, even if the vehicle is a rusted out piece of dried up dog doo.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome, thank you. I have Saturday off so I'll be taking it in then.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep-alicious, just take it in, the brake recall is not a big deal.

Good to see an other girl driving and on this site.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

I just had my Jeep at the dealer and had them do this recall i was going to do it later in the summer but my shifter assembly broke so it needed to be towed in and since it was there i had all the work it needed done then.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Hey this might sound crazy, but I won't get my recall notices. Where can I find all the recalls?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by datboyc
Hey this might sound crazy, but I won't get my recall notices. Where can I find all the recalls?

Right here:

http://project-jk.com/index.php/?cat=20
Old 04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Recalls are open for the life of the vehicle if not taken care of. Outside the effective warranty time it would be on your dime unless the manufacturer states differently.

An example is Mazda has a lifetime recall on the 1989-1991 Mazda RX-7 for the mouse belts failing. 18 years later, take it in, it gets fixed, and you go home.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by datboyc
I got the brake recall in the mail. As far as time goes, I guess its not too late unless you are going up hill and your brakes fail at a stop sign and you get hit by a dump truck.

Quick Reply: Is it ever too late to go in for a recall?