Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Evap Can? WTF

Old 05-07-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap Can? WTF

I keep getting this DTC P0441 ‐ Evap Purge System Performance. WTF is this code telling me. I have had this code forever, over a year at least, I did not know what it meant, so I just ignored it, mainly hoping it would go away. How do I get rid of it? Ive tried clearing it with my Hypertech, but it always comes back.

Please advise.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Check the EVAP Canister for holes and ensure that the hoses are still connected.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but I think that is the code for an evap canister leak. Have you taken a look underneath to see if its cracked or a hose is pulled off?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, have no clue what an evap can is. I did a little reading on it, but really don't understand its purpose. To catch vapors?

I will look under jeep tomorrow and see if I can find, from what I read its a black box underneath in middle that looks out of place. Any way to get rid of it?

Been reading most people had to got to dealership to get it replaced, I really don't want to go to a dealership.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

It's very easy to do it yourself. Pull a couple plugs and hoses, replace, and reconnect everything. I don't think its that expensive of a part either. Once you look underneath you'll see it. It's about the size of a shoe box, and has a few wires and hoses coming out of it. Unfortunately, you have to have it on there, but they do make skids for it or it can be relocated to a less vulnerable spot.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

If you have busted it, it is easy to replace yourself.
Once fixed, you should plan on relocating it or installing a skid plate for it.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is a picture of your evap canister:

Here is a link that lists all the prices for the entire evap system. It looks like a replacement canister is either $27 or $35 plus shipping depending on whether you have a 2dr or a 4dr.

partswebsite.com/jeepcarparts1/index.php?i=2&model=829&make=131&year=2009&section =2&catid=30153&type=parts&subcatid=30505&item_coll ision=1&items=none&image=WJ07210&catid=30153

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-07-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: No links to non-sponsors please.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DegoRed
so I just ignored it, mainly hoping it would go away. How do I get rid of it? Ive tried clearing it with my Hypertech, but it always comes back.

Please advise.
How often does that work for you in daily life?
How do you get rid of it? Fix what is causing it.

Here is some info for the code you have:

P0441-EVAP PURGE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation

The Evap Purge Monitor tests the integrity of the hoses/tube between the throttle body/intake and the fuel tank. The monitor is a two stage test and runs only after the Evap system passes the small leak test. Stage one is non-intrusive. The PCM monitors the purge vapor ratio and the ESM switch closed ratio. If the purge vapor ratio is above a calculated value, the monitor passes. If the ESM switch closed ratio is greater than calculated value when purge flow is greater than a minimum value, the monitor passes. Stage two is an intrusive test and runs only if stage one does not pass. The PCM commands the purge solenoid to flow at a specified rate to force the purge vapor ratio to update. The ratio is compared to a calibrated specification. If it is less than specified, a one trip failure is recorded. This test can detect if the purge hose is off, obstructed, or the purge valve is not operational.

• When Monitored: After the Evap System small leak test has passed, with the engine running, ambient temperature between 4° C (39° F) and 35° (95° F), with the engine at idle after a calibrated amount of drive time has accumulated.

• Set Condition: If the PCM detects that the purge vapor ratio and the ESM switch closed ratio are below a calculated value, the PCM commands the purge solenoid to flow at a specified rate to update the purge vapor ratio. If the ratio remains below a specified value, a one trip failure is recorded. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
EVAP PURGE SOLENOID VACUUM SUPPLY
EVAP PURGE HOSE/TUBE AND FRESH AIR FILTER OBSTRUCTION
EVAP PURGE SOLENOID
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Old 05-07-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its located near the rear axle, looks like a black shoe box
Old 05-08-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looked the black box over pretty good and all the lines going to and fro and all looks good, this box has never been touched. Like I said this light has been on for about a year, and I only have 7K miles on my jeep, so its not as if its gotten a lot of use.

Really hate the idea of going to dealer, but looking like that the only answer. Guess I will have to cross my fingers that I don't get flagged.

Quick Reply: Evap Can? WTF