Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Etc light and fan coming on

Old 02-17-2020, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Etc light and fan coming on

I just got a new to me 2012 jk sport. About 70% of the time the engine starts warming up and then the electric fan turns on and then the ETC light (the red lightening bolt in backward parentheses) turns on, and the temperature the drops down to the cool side if the gauge. The fan will stay in for the duration of the drive and never turn off. The performance of the vehicle doesn’t change, however i don’t have any heat when this happens. I already have a thermostat on order, is there anything else I should be looking at to fix this problem?

Last edited by Powder Hound; 02-18-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:30 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi and welcome!

I'm moving your post to JK Stock for help from fellow owners. Good luck!

Bob
Old 02-18-2020, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Is the check engine light on?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:29 AM
JK Newbie

Yes the check engine light is on. It gave me codes of P0304 and P2181. One of which is the coolant temperature sensor. I replaced that today so we will see if that fixes it or not.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Update.

First I did a coolant temperature sensor, and the problem continued. Next was a new thermostat. The old one literally came out in pieces. One of the plastic retainer posts that the metal plate locks into was broken off and The plastic piece that holds the thermostat was also broken. I believe this was the root of the problem and the sensor was likely good. It is now running and maintaining temperature as it should.

Quick Reply: Etc light and fan coming on