Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ESP and ETC warning lights flashing on dash

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ESP and ETC warning lights flashing on dash

Today while driving on the freeway I heard a tone and then these indicator lights on the dash started flashing:
Electonic Throttle Control (ETC) warning light
Electronic Stability Program (ESP) Indicator light

I pulled over and shifted to Park and I noticed a high idle. Then I turned the engine off and retarted. After restart, it was idling normal and these warning lights disappeared. I checked for codes as mentioned in another thread and only saw ----- done. Any thoughts before a take it to the dealer?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess my question is - has anyone ever had this issue and what was the outcome? I wonder if I should wait and see if it happens again or if it could be a major issue and need to get it check out right away? I hope I don't have to pay the dealership $100 for a diagnostic so they can tell me they just cleared a code. BTW, I just bought my Jeep from them about a month ago.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would not worry about it unless it comes back.

The Jk's ecu can be a bit buggy sometimes.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

This happened once to my '10. I was at a red light, started moving, and both lights came on after a sudden lurch. I pulled over and restarted the engine, neither light came back on and have yet to have a repeated issue. I had taken it to the stealership and they could not pull a code on it.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
Personally I would not worry about it unless it comes back.

The Jk's ecu can be a bit buggy sometimes.
I think I'll do that. thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcarr261
This happened once to my '10. I was at a red light, started moving, and both lights came on after a sudden lurch. I pulled over and restarted the engine, neither light came back on and have yet to have a repeated issue. I had taken it to the stealership and they could not pull a code on it.
so I won't worry about it then and hope I dont see it anymore. So far it has not come back. I want to avoid taking it to the stealership unless I have to. Thanks a lot for your reply.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JkFam
so I won't worry about it then and hope I dont see it anymore. So far it has not come back. I want to avoid taking it to the stealership unless I have to. Thanks a lot for your reply.
I had that happen in my 2010, back in November 2009, just after I bought it. Happened maybe three times, and hasnt returned.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

I had this exact issue happen. Thankfully, mine happened right after I bought it brand new. It had these two codes:

P0507 - Idle Speed Performance Higher Than Expected
P061a - Etc Level 2 Torque Performance

They installed a copilot system on the car to see what it was doing when it happened, but the system didn't record anything. They did replace a pcv valve a few days ago and we're waiting to see if this was the right fix.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just had this happen to me. Any of the original posters have any follow-up info?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me today too. Just had my Jeep in to have the front fender liners trimmed and the gas tank looked at for over spilling. I doubt this has anything to do with it. I shut off the Jeep and restarted. It was still there. So I turned off the Jeep, got out and looked at the owners manual on the side of the road for maybe 5 minutes. I got back in, started up, and it was still happening. As soon as I shifted it into drive (automatic) and stepped on the gas it went away. Hasn't happened since. Strange.

Quick Reply: ESP and ETC warning lights flashing on dash