Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine trouble codes

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble codes

Alright Guys looking for some advice, 2010 JK - 3.8L V6, I bent a piston rod, I pulled the engine, replaced the piston, put it back together, dropped it back in, and its running. However, the engine light is on, and if i let it sit at idle for a couple minutes the red lightening bolt comes on, when it does the engine almost stalls, but it catches itself and goes right back to normal idle but the power is not there when i push the gas. I checked the error codes and these are what it gave me.

P-0507: Idle control System RPM higher then expected
P-0622: Generator field not switching properly
P-0113: Intake Air Temp circuit high input
P-0123: Throttle/Pedal position sensor/switch A circuit intermittent
P-0222: Throttle/Pedal position sensor/switch B circuit low input

and 2 more codes that come up as not listed.
I re-installed the engine properly, so looking for any advice to what i might have missed or over looked since i'm close to the problem and can't see it

Fixes I've tried: Throttle body cleaner, took off air intake and put it back on, I did have and error code of P0306 but i changed the spark plugs and the number 6 wire and that cleared

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

As is common in some of the other cars I've worked on... did you check and re-check all grounds?

I had a 1995 Dodge Neon that I had replaced the radiator on. Forgot to reattach the front ground to the radiator core support.

As I left the shop, i got the high temp warning. Plugged my obd2 reader into it and read the actual value coming off the CTS. It was within the normal range.

When I got home (yeah the shop, at the time, wasnt real close..) I shut down and began looking for issues... found the ground right away. Put it back on and nary a problem after that.

Its a common issue with some vehicles, if grounds are not put back on properly, they can cause weird electrical issues.. same with a wire that may be grounding on something from rubbing the wire's coating off.

At least, thats where I'd check first.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, it was a ground I forgot, now just need to fix a vacuum leak now lol

Quick Reply: Engine trouble codes