Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine "ticking" around 2-3k RPM?

Old 12-26-2006, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
That's not a stupid question
As a matter of fact it's a real good question

The throw out bearing is the last link in the chain when your talking about the clutch linkage. It is what gets pushed against the clutch pressure plate levers (or fingers) when you step on the clutch pedal in order to disengage the clutch. It's mounted on the input shaft of a standard tranny, and it needs to be a bearing because it needs to be able to spin once it comes in contact with the pressure plate.
An automatic tranny doesn't have one because it doesn't have a clutch.

There's a little bit more to the story but, you just wanted to know what the throw out bearing was....I Hope this has helped you.
Hey Thanks fro your post, My JK is still at the dealer and they said someting to me that didn't set right. They are saying it might be dirt/dust that got into the clutch housing from offroading. Now I am far from a mechanic, but my little knowledge is that seems unlikely. The noise I have goes away with just the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal, even just one finger pressing on it while idling. the mechanics first instinct was the "Throw out bearing or throttle bearing?" I am at the mercy of the dealership, and the way they are talking is they are trying to blame me for taking it offroad! I already called Chrysler in preparation of a fight, if my dealer is claiming that dirt got in. Is this even possible. I appreciate your advice already.......
Old 12-26-2006, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, here's an update as of first thing this morning, I spok eiwth the dealer, and whatever the repiar is, will be covered by Chrysler. Hmm...I wonder if that call I placed to the Customer Satisfaction Line had anything to do with it?.....

Apparently everything will be ready within the hour.

I'll post an update.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I have found the source of my rattling noise in the gear shifter. I noticed that the plastic ring surrounding the gear shift shroud is loose on the passenger side. I found that the "screws" on the top are just for shop and appears that the ring is held on from underneath. Any ideas how to tighten this?

[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2006, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2007 JK
although i doubt that its the throwout bearing, that is a different noise that i am also tracking. Let us know if they have any solutions for either noise out yet.
I brough the jeep in for two things, The electrical problem and the noise problem. For the electric problem there is a recall out. so they did an up date? For the noise they said they couldn't hear anything and want me to go for a ride and show them what I was hearing. So when I got up to the dealership and went for a ride with the service manger it was meraculsly gone. Yhey said they did nothing. After a week now It's back, so I am going to go back and show them what I'm hearing. I know It's not normal.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

whats the recall for? I've looked around online and haven't found anything about a recall for the 07 Wrangler...

OH and as for my engine ticking, it went away after I put about 500-600 miles on it...still got a rattling 6th gear though, which sucks...I'm thinking shifter boot.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JjustkrawlinK
For the noise they said they couldn't hear anything and want me to go for a ride and show them what I was hearing. So when I got up to the dealership and went for a ride with the service manger it was meraculsly gone. Yhey said they did nothing. After a week now It's back, so I am going to go back and show them what I'm hearing. I know It's not normal.
You want to know what is normal?
The fact that the noise wasn't there when you took the Service manager for a ride.
You have no idea how many times I have seen this in my line of work.

The best thing you can do is try to take notice of a few different things when the sound occurs...
1- Does it do it when the engine is cold, or when it's up to normal operating temperature?
2- Does it do it when you're moving or not moving?
3- If it happens when your driving, does it do it at a certain speed?
4- If you have a standard trany, do you hear it when your foot is on, or off the clutch pedal?
5- Where does it the noise seem to be coming from.(a lot of times it helps to have someone in the vehicle with you for this one so they can look for it while you drive).

Intermititant problems are a mechanics nightmare.
Your answers to these questions will help them immensely

Good Luck

CHOPPER
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to revive an old thread, but wanted to post my experience today.

I heard a ticking sound while standing outside my Jeep last night while it was running at idle. I did a walk around and it almost sounded like a slight exhaust leak or valve clatter.

I had the JK in for service for other issues today and pointed it out. Apparently, it's a fuel injection noise. I don't hear mine inside the vehicle, but it's very noticeable outside. I was informed it's normal.

Hope that helps anyone who hears it too.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

this happened to me after i played in the mud and acciednlty let it cook on my Jeep for a few days...

Quick Reply: Engine "ticking" around 2-3k RPM?