Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Engine "ticking" around 2-3k RPM?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW!

My 2 Dr 6spd Rubicon is currently at the dealer for what is lack of a better term a "Canary" in the engine! Basically it has a squeek that is being diagnosed, currently on Day 2 of diagnosis, trying to track it down. Noise is annoying as He!! and goes away with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal. Still waiting to hear what the problem is, and the solution to the problem. I will accept certain things with owning a jeep, but this noise went straight to annoying once I heard it. Absolutely unacceptable in my book, and Jeep now has the ball in there court. It was very slight at idle, became mor enoticeable when you would rev it up. Waiting patiently! and becoming more irritated by the day! Have a trail ride planned for Sunday, and I'd hate to have to cancel!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

I had noticed a "lifter" type tapping noise also.
I brought it in for it's first oil change and at that time had the computer "flashed" as per TSB of Nov.18 (found in numerous other threads here)
I had it flashed to solve a problem with the dash lights and radio cutting out at low RPM.
It solved that problem and now it runs a whole lot better,
There seams to be better acceleration, and
THE LIFTER NOISE IS GONE

I hope this helps,
Good Luck
Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by usgaone
FWIW!

My 2 Dr 6spd Rubicon is currently at the dealer for what is lack of a better term a "Canary" in the engine! Basically it has a squeek that is being diagnosed, currently on Day 2 of diagnosis, trying to track it down. Noise is annoying as He!! and goes away with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal. Still waiting to hear what the problem is, and the solution to the problem. I will accept certain things with owning a jeep, but this noise went straight to annoying once I heard it. Absolutely unacceptable in my book, and Jeep now has the ball in there court. It was very slight at idle, became mor enoticeable when you would rev it up. Waiting patiently! and becoming more irritated by the day! Have a trail ride planned for Sunday, and I'd hate to have to cancel!
Sounds like it could be the throw-out bearing, I wouldn't let up until they fix it. Good luck
Old 12-21-2006, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

that is great news! i was hating the "lifter nosie" as you call it, because that is really what it sounds like.

So is it really all gone or did it just get quieter?

maybe they had their timing calibration off a bit.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stupid question......what's a throw out bearing?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fraynes1
Stupid question......what's a throw out bearing?
That's not a stupid question
As a matter of fact it's a real good question

The throw out bearing is the last link in the chain when your talking about the clutch linkage. It is what gets pushed against the clutch pressure plate levers (or fingers) when you step on the clutch pedal in order to disengage the clutch. It's mounted on the input shaft of a standard tranny, and it needs to be a bearing because it needs to be able to spin once it comes in contact with the pressure plate.
An automatic tranny doesn't have one because it doesn't have a clutch.

There's a little bit more to the story but, you just wanted to know what the throw out bearing was....I Hope this has helped you.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the lifter noise you all are talking about is actually engine ping.
The engine timing can cause this, and even running the vehicle on the wrong octain fuel can cause this as well.

You might hear it even more when your driving up hills and the engine is under a load.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks CHOPPER! Are the people hearing the ping in the engine using regular fuel? I know the manual states to use regular fuel and mid to high grade fuel can cause pinging.

I use regular fuel and don't hear any pinging. Just my 2 cents.

Everyone have a good Christmas and stay safe 4 wheelin'!
Old 12-25-2006, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Here is a link to how a clutch works for those that were interested in what a "throwout bearing" was and did. If you click on the box in the left hand corner of the 3rd diagram you can see exactly where it goes !

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

Last edited by jpzjk; 12-25-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have noticed that I have a rattle when I reach higher RPM's just prior to shifting into the next gear.

I originally thought it was coming from the center of the dash, but after looking high and low couldn't find it.

I finally found that when the noise came, if I pressed the gear shifter further/harder into gear the noise would go away (eg. if in 3rd gear and I heard the noise I would push the shifter toward the front of Jeep and it would go away) The noise is a rattle, like a loose screw.

Is this the throw out bearing or something else? It is actually getting worse and more bothersome.

Quick Reply: Engine "ticking" around 2-3k RPM?